Cal's Grease Purple #1 about and Where to use it

Started by JGB, November 04, 2011, 11:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGB

Cal's came out with a #1 weighted grease that is similar to their #2 tan general purpose drag grease. Cal's came out with this grease to satisfy the needs of COLD weather fisherman (Alsaska like places) where the #2 Tan was freezing up and making reels real stiff. According to Cal (yes I did speak to him) says it is the same but won't freeze up and can be used in all the same places the #2 tan is used. I ordered some from Smooth drag (2# of it) and it is purple and it is much thinner. Cal's grease is made for Cal exclusively and the formula is secret (Cal says he does not know the exact formulation). He does know that it contains Calcium and Teflon and a bunch of 'special' additives for corrosion, Temp and other things. The Calcium is important to us as the Calcium makes the lubricant very water resistant so it won't wash away and it is a high pressure enhancer. The Teflon is important to us as it gives the properties that make it work so well on our carbon fiber drags. As far as the carrier oil used we still don't know for sure but it does not smell petroleum based.

I decided to use Cal's #1 purple in the bearing packer along with the Yama lube in another bearing packer.

When a customer wants the spool bearings packed I use the Cal's #1 purple since it has less bearing drag and any grease that slings out onto the drag is completely compatible with Cal's #2 drag grease.
I also use this to pack the pressure plate bearings in lever drags. This is because these bearings seem to always sling some grease over time and the grease can get onto the carbon drags.
The last place is anywhere that I want a oil like lubricant that will stay put.

Anyone have any other places to use Cal's #1 purple (remember children read these posts)?

Jim N.

Norcal Pescador

Smaller spinning reels for its scaled-down viscosity to match scaled-down reels. Also good to put a little on the pinion shaft before it mates up with the pinion bearing or gear.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD