Handle repair on a Penn 714

Started by TRS, September 27, 2019, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRS

I have a Penn 714z that returned to me after many years of being "lost". During the return process the shaft of the handle assembly snapped.  Would it be possible to have some type of weld repair done? Or just replace the shaft only?  Really interested in fixing this reel, it was the first new reel I ever purchased and spent it many years traveling on submarines with me fishing in some interesting parts of the world.

Is there another Penn model number that uses the same or similar handle??
They call it fishing, not catching

foakes

Hi Tom --

Truthfully, I saw your post earlier -- and did not respond, since I am short on these -- and they are very hard to come by.  I was hoping another member might come forward with one.

To answer your question -- I do not believe that a snapped, anodized, aluminum crank shaft that small can be repaired properly -- I would never be happy with the result -- as I am sure you would not be satisfied either.

The only person who could possibly do this repair, would be Steve -- and he would use coconut husks, hemp strands, and possibly banana oil -- and it would somehow turn out perfect...but it would involve 40 to 60 hours on his part in labor.

So here is a new shaft with the crank knob (it is part of the shaft since it is riveted -- not screwed on).

Will this work for you -- or do you need additional parts for the handle assembly?

Whatever your answer, email me via PM your mailing address and full name -- and I will get it in the mail to you.

No Charge.

Thanks for your service...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TRS

Fred,
would it be possible to get a picture, so I'm not making a mistake? I have the part of the handle assembly that screws into the reel body, I also have the shaft and plastic part, on mine I can't auctually remove the knurled nut from the shaft.  From parts digrams this was sold as one assembly.
You offer is beyond generous, if I can't pay need any fishing flys.??

TRS

Fred,

Not sure why I didn't see the pictures, do you know how I remove the nut from the bottom?

foakes

Photos show up fine on the site, Tom --

There might be a setting or filter on your side that needs tweaking.

The nut just unscrews -- although you must force it through the threads with a tape-jaw covered pair of pliers -- since it is a "no-lose" finger nut to tighten the crank when moved from folded to open position.

If you still can't see the photos -- let me know, and I will email them directly to your private email.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

TRS

Fred,

Success!! Nut removed, thanks I didn't want to force thing knowing the scarcity of the part.

PM sent

Thank you very much, as soon as I can obtain a handle it's going to you.
Looking forward to slaying some gills in the near future.

Your the best!!
Tom

oc1

Quote from: foakes on September 27, 2019, 09:07:05 PM
he would use coconut husks, hemp strands, and possibly banana oil
I'd use a stick of fluxed aluminum welding rod and a torch with a soft flame.  It wouldn't work and would turn into one big glob of aluminum.  Been there.
-steve

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on September 28, 2019, 05:36:43 AM
Quote from: foakes on September 27, 2019, 09:07:05 PM
he would use coconut husks, hemp strands, and possibly banana oil
I'd use a stick of fluxed aluminum welding rod and a torch with a soft flame.  It wouldn't work and would turn into one big glob of aluminum.  Been there.
-steve

Hell, I would just take a piece of aluminum rod, tap it for the knob screw and JB Weld it into the crank shaft assembly.   :o Fred's gift would work much better, though.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

714Z gold crank & black knob are in the mail, Tom --

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

TRS

Fred,
Thanks again, looking forward to fishing that reel on next Thursdays date night with the Queen of Catfish.

Regards,
Tom

Donnyboat

Great stuff Fred, true Ohana once again, your the man, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

TRS

Got the handle today and installed it, about to load it up with new 4lb stren, put it on it's new rod and put this old veteran back to work this Thursday.

Many thanks to Fred and his amazing generosity, he is one of the people that make this board amazing!!

Tom