Age is no barrier...

Started by redsetta, November 08, 2011, 10:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

"Local anglers have been left shaking their heads in admiration at an 85-year-old great grandmother who hauled in a massive 850-pound marlin near Cooktown..."

http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2011/11/07/189941_local-news.html

One word: Epic.  ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broadway

Simply Awesome!

...my mom (66 years old) caught a 5 foot mako from an anchored boat off Ft. Myers Fl. on Tuesday.  She didn't pull it up cause it was a charter, but she said it was one of her biggest fishing highlights.  I love when she calls me to give a report, and out fishes everyone on the boat... as long as she doesn't outfish me  ;)
Dom

redsetta

Nice one Dom - apparently the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

broadway

I love how the woman looked like such a "lady"... white sandals and a summer dress with a kentucky derby hat. That's how they used to do it back in the day... very cool!
Dom

wallacewt

dont want to spoil your day but i will. 85yr old, it was a fix!from the latest reports.sry,publicity stunt

broadway

Thanks for the buzz kill...this is why I hate the computer... too much fake crap! ...but I'll bet ya someone's granny is out there fishin'  ;)
Thanks for the clarification, Wallace
Dom

redsetta

If it is, cest la vie, but here's a pic of the fish from the ABC, which tends be reputable.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-07/connie-laurie-hauls-in-a-marlin/3650832
And the full story: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-07/fish-experts-reel-over-grannys-marlin-catch/3639212
Someone speculated it may be a publicity stunt in the comments on one of the news stories, but there doesn't appear to be any other suggestion that it was.
I'm gonna choose to believe...  ;)

wallacewt

thanks redsetta,ill check it out properly.
im  with broadway on not believing most of the idiots who claim this and that on the web,different if there is humuor intended.its enjoyable.

redsetta

You're spot-on Wallace.
I'd like to think this one's true - nice to think we could still be haulin' em in at 85 - but wouldn't pin myself to it...
Generally speaking, I'm a sceptic too (but am willing to suspend disbelief for a good cause).
Cheers mate, Justin

alantani

that's ok.  it was harmless and made for a great story.  i actually met a grandmother that wanted to break the 20# test record for a marlin out of kona, hawaii.  needless to say, she needed a reel with alot of line and a perfectly smooth drag.  never heard how it came out.  funny thing, her husband hated fishing.  it was fun to talk to her.  she seemed like an absolutely first class lady. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

wallacewt

as most tanites are aware i am the president of the bow legged grandmothers club and sole judicator of anything thats not relevent.well it appears from the 1st email i recieved from gfsc that the granny in ? did catch the marlin.im waiting for a nuther email.its just as well because if she was speaking with fork tongue and telling mince pies banishment from afore mention club was immienent,.how do u spell imy.nobody has ever been expelled before even tho members are few and id hate to have to exert my considerable powers.things like this im a whoose.should never have elected myself    

alantani

did anyone fully understand what wallace just said ?   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Paleoreelist

Not really, but I want to join the bow legged grandmothers club, sounds fun.  ;D ;D
The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a Y.

Dominick

Wallace is a funny guy.  I loved it Wallace it made me laugh, and I wouldn't tell any mince pies.  Just take it easy on the Zin.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on December 17, 2011, 08:01:48 PM
Wallace is a funny guy.   Just take it easy on the Zin.  Dominick
I second that! ;D Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.