50w reel Accurate or Makaira?

Started by daddyhoit, November 09, 2011, 05:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddyhoit

Im rearanging my reel selection and selling my Avet 50w on e-bay, to replace it Im lookinf to either another Accurate 50w (used) or a new Makaira. Im very familiar with the Accurates (have many, been through  them all thanks to alan and you guys posts) but the Makaira sounds interesting. This reel will be my heavy (130) class reel or kite reel. Thanks in advance for all the replies.

alantani

personally, i'd go with the makaira 50.  regarding 130# spectra, it is the most i would ever fish with because it is just beyond the limit that i could physically break.  it is my physical limit. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jim

I own both. A nice pile of ATD's and a new mak.
Accurate ATD's are the gold standard of reels.
The mak seems good, but there's Hertz and there's 'not exactly'. I already had to take my dremel to the mak to correct a silly flaw.
In the 130# class I'm not prepared to settle.
The mak is new, and made in China. History suggests that unauthorized cost-cutting in the factory is highly likely, we can only hope not.
Go with ABSOLUTELY PROVEN right now, you can always sell an atd on ebay for what a mak costs new later on.
Maybe, after this winter's cow season of using a mak as my back-up 100# reel I'll change my opinion . . . maybe though my mak will be on ebay. Hope not, but only time and heavy fish will tell.

Squirmypug

Jim what did you have to fix on the Mak? I've been thinking about getting the 50 or 50w for shark fishing but still want to find out more about them before spending $550-600.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Jim

Quote from: Squirmypug on November 12, 2011, 07:10:39 AM
Jim what did you have to fix on the Mak? I've been thinking about getting the 50 or 50w for shark fishing but still want to find out more about them before spending $550-600.

The plate under the drag lever with all the little notches has one big notch at the first # (1) that's so huge it required an amazing amount of force to move the lever past it. (Why on earth?!?!) Couple touches with the dremel rounded the corners of that detent.
At their price point, and assuming you don't want to try the used/ebay route for an Atd, the maks seem to be a pretty solid reel. Testing this winter will tell . . . I'll post a comprehensive review after returning at the end of Feb, as I'm sure will others.

daddyhoit

I havnt heard from David yet, having been a rep for both companys and someone Ive fished with a few times.

Jim

Quote from: daddyhoit on November 13, 2011, 07:29:37 PM
I havnt heard from David yet, having been a rep for both companys and someone Ive fished with a few times.

Compensation influences, I'll wait for the guys who buy their stuff with their own money.