Handle Binding... An Observation.

Started by ReelSpeed, March 01, 2011, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelSpeed

So with all the talk of handle binding and the issues that many of the small lever drag reels face, I decided to do some testing with the real fix for this issue and give some numbers to the results.  The reel I am using for the test is a small aluminum reel, very similar to the very common US brand of these reels that I am sure everyone is familiar with.  I am going to perform three tests... The first test will be stock from the factory.  The second test will be adding a thrust bearing to the left spool bearing. The last test will be running a thrust bearing with the left spool bearing, as well as running a thrust bearing in the right pinion bearing position. 

Let's see some results!

Also, this reel is being tested using greased Carbon Fiber drags.

First Test: Stock.

Pulled right about 8.5Lbs of drag with no handle bind.. Sounds pretty familiar.

Second Test: Added Thrust Bearing with the left spool bearing.

Pulled right about 10.5Lbs of drag with no handle bind... Hmmm this is getting interesting.

Now, Unfortunately, I am running out of time today as I am getting ready to go out of state..  But I will be back in a few days to complete the testing with thrust bearings in both positions.  Sorry to leave you all hanging.   (Hint...it is better. ;) )

-Aaron
ReelSpeed

Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Roger

Aaron, quit teasing us, curious minds want to know...... ???
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

roger, patience.  this is gonna be good!!!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Taily

Any updates?  ;D

Am sooooooooo hanging on anything I can do to get a little more out of my classy little blue un-named lever drag!

Regards,

Dave
Nunc est bibendum....

ReelSpeed

Okay guys, sorry for such a terribly long delay.. I had to get my shop back in order when I got back from Texas.

So the purpose of this post was really to show the possibilities available and also to offer a possible mod.

Now as you all remember in the last post, I was able to get 10.5 lbs of drag by removing the stock spacer before the left spool bearing and replacing it with a thrust bearing.  This is a very real and usable mod that anyone should be able to perform... Might need to try some things with an Avet since most thrust bearings this small are made in metric sizes..

Now for the bearing in the right side plate...  For anyone not familiar with thrust bearings, they are made to handle what is called an "axial" load.  This would be a load that is being pushed against the face of the bearing.. the downside to this is that they cannot handle any real rotational or "radial" load like your normal pinion bearing.  Here is a picture of the thrust type bearings I am using:

So while I am able to observe a fairly accurate picture of the max drag with thrust bearing in the right side plate, it would be completely unfishable and would need a standard ball bearing to go along with it to handle the normal radial load that the reel experiences while fighting fish.

Hopefully you are still with me here.. :)

I am not going to be able to give a perfect drag number to having both thrust bearings in, since putting that much load on the right thrust bearing without a ball bearing causes some issues... but based on my observations with many different configurations, I would put the possible drag figure with both thrust bearings and a radial bearing in the 12.5 - 14 pound area without handle bind.  I personally pulled these figures with what I believe would be a bind-free handle had I had a radial bearing to go with the right thrust bearing.

So there you have it.. a usable mod to get you a little more drag, and an idea of the possibilities available with a small manufacturing change.

Hopefully everyone was able to follow along.. feel free to ask any questions if you got lost.

-Aaron
(562) 261-5190

cjmarti3

Thanks Aaron,

Interesting concept.

Ever considered finding a Timken of the appropriate size?  They maybe too thick.   These will handle both a radial and axial load.

Charlie

ReelSpeed

Unfortunately, anything that is made for both loads are usually starting in the 1" OD area.. nothing small like this.  :-\  I have an idea for a solution, but it is taking some thinking and working with another company I know.. hopefully I can make something work.
(562) 261-5190

Keta

Have you thought about replacing the pinion bearing with a flanged angular contact bearing?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

an anular contact roller bearing would be ideal.  and prohibitively expensive.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: alantani on November 11, 2011, 08:04:50 AM
an anular contact roller bearing would be ideal.  and prohibitively expensive.

Yes, for a production reel, but if it's playing around on a personal reel or one of my friends reels it would be interesting to see what can be achieved. 

Small flanged angular contact bearings are available butso far all I find is metric and not the right size for a drop in.  The pinion gear will have to be modified too.

One of these days I'll have a side plate from a scrap Avet, a small flanged angular contact bearing, a 6 pack (machinist works for beer) and time to visit my machinist friend.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain