SA20 Improving drag range?

Started by Badfish, November 09, 2011, 10:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Badfish

Anybody know anything that can be done to improve the effective drag range on the SA20 star drags?
From wound right up to about 4 clicks back is all my reel has worth using. Full on it puts about around 18lbs of drag, one click back I'm down to 11, another click back I'm at 9 and another I'm at 7...
I've tried simply adding smoooths and it made it worse, is there an upgrade/configuration change in the drag springs or plates to complement the carbontex washers that might help?

Cheers
BF

redsetta

G'day and welcome BF,
About the only thing I can offer is perhaps consider another drag spring washer, ie key 58 (#150-8901).
Currently, the arrangement is (), but the additional drag washer can be placed ()).
Even (()) or ()() might be an option if four will fit.
That may help in producing a more gradual drag curve.
Schematic here: http://www.daiwa.com/PartsDiagram/PartsDiagram/SA15-30.pdf
There's a lot of expertise round here, so someone's bound to jump in if there's a better solution.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

start with greased carbontex.  if that doesn't give you the drag range you need, you will have to move to a bigger reel.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Badfish

Already done that Alan, I rarely need much, if any, convincing to get new reels ;D. Now using an Accurate bx400xn for the duties the Saltiga was doing but the Saltiga has done me so well for the past few years it seems a waste to just let it die on the shelf.
Other than the now very limited effective drag range the reel is in really good working order.

Will get hold of brit wyn and get those drag springs on the way cheers Redsetta

Nessie Hunter

As said by redsetta ...

if your going from 0 drag to Max drag to fast with no fine adjusting, it is probably a Belleville issue.

Make sure they are in right and have some curve to them,  Acts like a spring to slowly add pressure to the drag stack...    ( )   

If the reel has been stored with them tightened down, they may have gone flat or lost their tension....

May need replaced??????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!