Upgrading Old Penn Reels

Started by Ward, November 11, 2011, 10:02:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward

I've been fixing my own reels for a long time now and sure wish a forum like this existed when I started.  Lots of wasted effort and mistakes might have been avoided.

Recently, a buddy stopped by asking for help assembling a Penn Squidder with the Tiburon Frame and spool he'd just bought.  Somebody'd convinced him he'd end up with a heck of a great reel.  So, a Squidder from eBay for forty dollars or so plus a hundred dollar bill in the frame and spool and he still needed drag washers and it seemed right to recommend Alan Tani's gear sleeve plus a fine tooth star drag.  All up, he'd be looking at $175.  For a fair amount less he could get a similar sized Penn Squall that's a faster reel and capable of greater drag force.

I must admit to having added Newell parts to a couple Jigmasters and upgraded a couple other Penn reels. Still, where's the cutoff where buying a modern reel makes more sense?

akfish

We do this for fun. If he wants to fish a slow, light drag souped up Squidder then more power to him. But if he did that because he was unaware of modern tackle then perhaps some education was in order...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

If we would all have the same taste, we would wake up with the same woman next to us ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

wish i had an answer.  probably would have saved me alot of money. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

x2 on Sal and AK's posts.
Sometimes it ain't about the money...  ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Panama

Fishing (and the equipment used) should put a smile on your face. 
Show him what is out there and let him choose how he wants to spend his money.  At the end of the day we can only hope for joy.

Panama
Get on the water, Man!!!

Ward

Thanks to all for your thoughts.  The part I didn't mention at first is that this buddy is one of the world's cheapest humans.  He doesn't buy bait, gas or ever bring quite the right terminal gear.  He has been sold the idea that upgrading an old real gives him 'good old American craftsmanship' and that he gets a better reel than anything new on the market.  I'll show him some alternatives though showing him means he'll probably want to fish my gear.  Still, he's been a good friend.  Thanks again..

Ratchet

Quote from: Ward on November 19, 2011, 01:56:52 PM
 I'll show him some alternatives though showing him means he'll probably want to fish my gear. 

Actually, that statement is the root of the problem.  Advise, no matter how good the intentions behind it, is meant to influence the thoughts or actions of another.  I am a believer in that true learning cannot be told nor taught, it can only come through real experience. 

A used Squidder in good condition for $40 can be a very good deal for someone that doesn't want to spend a good deal of money.  Your friend will soon learn, if he hasn't already done so, that adding an aftermarket aluminum frame and spool is nice but not 3x nicer.  That is an important lesson.

I too have been there, done that, and wasted a lot of money learning.