Johnson/Evinrude Marine Grease...

Started by Nessie Hunter, November 12, 2011, 04:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nessie Hunter

I have been using the LubriMatic Marine grease for about 6 years.  
It has served me and many customers well.  Works great..

I recently began to get low, and now have Alans Bearing Packer that I have used a couple of times.  I like it, so much easier then packing them by hand!!!!

Any way, I ordered the Johnson/Evinrude Marine Grease mainly because it was mentioned here as an alternative to Yamaha, and it comes in the 3 oz cartridges for convenience of use...

It came Fri (yesterday) via UPS....  I was kind of excited as I have 2 reels waiting for it since Thur (plus some smoothdrag parts)...

Well When I opened it and took a tube out to look at, feel & touch, I was alittle surprised!!!

Its RED......   Not Blue as I expected????  
Not a problem, as I will always know if I was in any reel that I service now..  
Kind of a signature color???    LOL

Cleaning out the old crappy grease from the gun and getting into these 2 reels this morning..

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Alto Mare

Nassie, how is the consistency of the Johson Evinrude grease compared to the lubriMatic and Yamaha. I hear of guys thinning grease down  with power steering fluid for packing bearings, but I've never tried it. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Nessie Hunter

It is very tacky/sticky, more so then any grease I have dealt with before..
Just cleaned out the old stuff in gun and ran a bead of this RED stuff through...

Feels about the same thickness, but stickier..   
I think it will be excellent for staying power.... (hope so anyway)

These 2 reels are part of the Cabo Panga Fleet tackle and will be staying down there for - who knows how long????

These are a new addition... 
Brand new 'Spinning Reels', Stradic 8000 size.....

Getting new Carbontex (yes!!! Dawn has that size in sets)!! 
And the Alan/Frank magic service!!!  (no offense Alan.....    LMAO....  ;D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

coores14

That's odd that it is red, but I suspect that maybe it is because you got their Wheel Bearing grease. The Evinrude Triple Guard Grease that I use on my boat is blue.
  I like the idea of a signature color, though. Probably the first twenty reels that I did I used "Green Grease" (pretty sure thats the brand name). I actually like the stuff a lot. It has the proper marine corrosion qualities, the consistency was good, but it isn't cheap. I went to go get another tube recently and balked at the price when I found that Advance Auto Parts has their own brand of marine grease for 4 bucks!  It is blue and is very similar to the Yamaha stuff.

inhotpursuit

I had been repacking my trailer bearings with yamaha marine grease  but this summer i noticed that the grease was dissapearing a lot faster than usual i was filling the bearing buddy every trip , when i explained this to the local boat shop i was told that yamaha grease is not made specifically for trailer bearings and he suggested i switch to  the johnson /evinrude grease that is formulated for the  high heat and water resistance necessary for trailer bearings because it has a much higher viscosity,i asked him if the J/E grease was ok for the other marine uses that i have "steering cables ,etc " he suggested that the yamaha  marine grease was better than the J/E grease for multipurpose applications,i tried both greases on a new antares dc7 to compare,the yamaha grease  does feel smoother is easier to work with and does not need to be thinned

Nessie Hunter

I have used other types/brands of grease.   
Some of it separates in the gun & oil leaks out....  ???

This Red grease sticks to metal that was already greased/oiled and just wiped off, amazing stuff IMO.

I like the ability of it to stick like that. 

I have been using a marine 'wheel bearing' grease by LubriMatic.  Liked it a lot also, cheap and easy to find at Auto stores....

IMO Wheel bearing grease would have the best properties for use in Reel bearings, High heat, High pressure, High RPM, excellent lubrication......
Stays in place much better & thats important in the harsh Saltwater environment..... 

Just wanted something "Marine" in 3 oz tubes so ordered this Johnson/Evinrude.

So far I like it.....   Of course, time will tell if it works good?????

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

the yamaha stuff stays blue forever.  the red omc stuff that you see above will turn black over time. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Killerbug

Just read that azo dyes are used in red oils, and Anthraquinone in blue. 
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time