Full set of Otco lever drag trolling reels from the late 1940s

Started by 54bullseye, November 09, 2019, 11:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

I have really liked the looks of these reels since first time I saw them so one by one I have bought them starting out with the 4/0 size Otco that seems to be the most abundant size. I have no idea just how many were made but I have seen a few 4/0s a lot of them in tough shape from saltwater corrosion. Then I had a chance to buy a 6/0 with original box and paperwork. The box is just a regular old cardboard box with "Ohio Tool Company Cleveland, Ohio" stamped on it but the cool part of the 6/0 box is the tape that sealed it !!  The box had been inventory at " Bob Kleiser's sport shop" in West Palm Beach, Florida" which was a very well known sport shop that was in run by Bob Kleiser from 1934 till Bob died in 1978 it was then run by his son Dan Kleiser for many more years. They sold all types of fishing gear and guns and were well known for Big Game rods and reels by Tycoon, Fin-Nor and many of the other companies of the time including Otco reels. The box is marked " Rec'd 2-1-49" and is marked by serial  D00164 same as on reel. I thought the box was more interesting than the reel !!!
My last find and the one that completes the Otco trolling reel series is the 12/0. This is the only 12/0 that I have ever seen but serial number is "4" so probably others out there somewhere. The 12/0 is a two speed reel and is shifted by a dial on center of handle. Low gear is 2 to 1 and high is 3 to 1 and it works good. Well that's all I have on them but as always if there is anyone out there that can add to or correct anything I have said please do.
I am adding pictures of reels and owners manual below I hope you enjoy !!!   Thanks !    John Taylor

54bullseye

more pics

Crow

Nice ! They have a clean, *modern* look to them...hard to believe they are that old !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

54bullseye

more pics

54bullseye

last pics  Thanks for looking !!!    John Taylor

mo65

Wow John...thanks for the education...fantastic collection! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oc1

I never heard of them and went straight to google.  Sort of an interesting story....

The Ohio Tool Company (OTCO) manufactured their high-end big game reels for a very short period in the post-war 1940s.  OTCO reels were one of the last great hand-made big game reels and were extremely well built.  The OTCO trolling reels were made in the 4/0, 6/0 and 12/0 sizes.

The reel had a lever drag that could also be adjusted by removing the throw lever and re-positioning it on its serrated shaft to increase or decrease drag.  These reels were also designed with a preset brake control knob on the rear side-plate.  The OTCO big game reels had an innovative drag that was different in design than any other big game reel as it featured an internal cone brake.

Why the company ceased production of these reels remains unclear.  It is likely that competition in the big game market and the cost of manufacturing such high-quality reels may have been major factors.  However, further research into the owner of the company at the time, Lester E. Butzman, Sr, points to serious legal problems as perhaps being a significant factor.

The patent for the clutch and brake mechanisms for the OTCO reels (#2,531,610) was submitted by Lester E. Butzman, Sr. on May 27, 1948, and granted in November of 1950.  It seems likely that since Mr. Butzman then served a three-year prison sentence in the early '50s, that would have caused some difficulty for the company and perhaps contributed to the short life of the OTCO big game reel.  The OTCO patent also cites an earlier Endicott-Wilson patent, befitting of the similarity in drag design between these reels.

https://antiquefishingreels.com/salt-water-reels/ohio-tool-company-otco/

-steve

54bullseye

Quote from: mo65 on November 10, 2019, 12:21:17 AM
   Wow John...thanks for the education...fantastic collection! 8)

Mo aren't you from Ohio or around that way ?

Swami805

Those are some all business looking reels! Looks like the 4 is stamped on several parts like they were made 1 at a time. Also the colored drag indicator is a nice touch. Thanks for posting
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

I'm assuming these were made for the wealthy folks of that time. $550 for a 12/0 is likely why not many exist....a person could've bought 5 Penn 16/0 for same amount.

Thanks for posting them John
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

54bullseye

Quote from: oc1 on November 10, 2019, 12:28:24 AM
I never heard of them and went straight to google.  Sort of an interesting story....

The Ohio Tool Company (OTCO) manufactured their high-end big game reels for a very short period in the post-war 1940s.  OTCO reels were one of the last great hand-made big game reels and were extremely well built.  The OTCO trolling reels were made in the 4/0, 6/0 and 12/0 sizes.

The reel had a lever drag that could also be adjusted by removing the throw lever and re-positioning it on its serrated shaft to increase or decrease drag.  These reels were also designed with a preset brake control knob on the rear side-plate.  The OTCO big game reels had an innovative drag that was different in design than any other big game reel as it featured an internal cone brake.

Why the company ceased production of these reels remains unclear.  It is likely that competition in the big game market and the cost of manufacturing such high-quality reels may have been major factors.  However, further research into the owner of the company at the time, Lester E. Butzman, Sr, points to serious legal problems as perhaps being a significant factor.

The patent for the clutch and brake mechanisms for the OTCO reels (#2,531,610) was submitted by Lester E. Butzman, Sr. on May 27, 1948, and granted in November of 1950.  It seems likely that since Mr. Butzman then served a three-year prison sentence in the early '50s, that would have caused some difficulty for the company and perhaps contributed to the short life of the OTCO big game reel.  The OTCO patent also cites an earlier Endicott-Wilson patent, befitting of the similarity in drag design between these reels.

https://antiquefishingreels.com/salt-water-reels/ohio-tool-company-otco/

-steve
Steve that all came from Ed's website same place 12/0 came from !  Lol !!!   John Taylor

54bullseye

Quote from: Maxed Out on November 10, 2019, 12:32:36 AM
I'm assuming these were made for the wealthy folks of that time. $550 for a 12/0 is likely why not many exist....a person could've bought 5 Penn 16/0 for same amount.

Thanks for posting them John

Ted check out link above that Steve posted that explains somewhat why there production was cut short !! 
John Taylor     PS  TUNA FOR LUNCH TODAY !!!

broadway

Hey John,
   I have seen the small OTCO's but that 12/0 must be a pretty tough reel to find.  Glad it found the right homeand has been reunited with it's siblings.
Looks like a seriously robust reel.
Thanks for showing,
Dom

1badf350

Wow thats a very impressive set. Impossible to upgrade. Well done John!
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"