Okuma reels

Started by Eddie Hernandez, June 15, 2020, 04:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Hernandez

Hi all- found these reels in the garbage are they worth repairing? The lever is seized on both reels? I know very little of these reels. Thx

Bryan Young

I've fixed a bunch of them for kayak loaners.  It's worth looking to see if it can be repaired without any parts.  It's likely the eccentric lever is corroded.  I have ad to take a Dremel to remove the corrosion muck and it worked again.  Others, were not fixable.  Can't hurt to try.  If anything, you will learn something even if you cannot repair it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Cor

I own one Okuma reel.   I don't like the way the thing is designed, works and the sloppy tolerances.   However,  I fished it hard for about 5 years and every time something broke I complained to the agent and 3 weeks later a replacement part would appear in my letterbox, free and all the way from China.
I caught a lot of fish with it, it still works fine and looking back I received fair service from the reel and superb part service.

So I would try to fix it and if you need a part, phone them and complain, maybe that works for you as well. ;D
Cornelis

Gobi King

what is wrong with it? take it apart and inspect it first
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Eddie Hernandez

Thanks for all the input guys! I have disassemble the reel i have attached some photos below...Took alot of work to free up the lever will need to use a Dremel to clean off the corrosion off of it.

Cor

Will be a rewarding project to get that one up and fishing again.
Terrible white corrosion, which Bryan already foresaw!
Cornelis