saltist freespool

Started by pepperist, November 15, 2011, 04:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepperist

Hi, guys. Just a quick question for those of you that own the saltist 20/30 nonlevelwinds. After cleaning and lubing the bearings, what kind of freespool are you guys getting? I can't seem to average more than 10 seconds. Is this typical?

Nessie Hunter

Check the Spool ends and inner spool frame areas and see if they have some GREASE on them.

The grease used to salt proof the reel, WILL slow the Freespool to a crawl. 
Wipe it down to a very, very thin Film..

Also Clean anything out of Pinion Gear & Spool shaft (light oil only). 
Any grease that migrated in there will slow it also..

Clean & LIGHT oil the Spool Bearings?????

Should get some great freespool on the Saltist....................

Line on spool = Weight & longer spin..
Empty Spool, less weight,  less spin time, but easier start up for lighter baits....
I think I saw Alan say one time, something about the spin time being directly inverse to the spool weight....?????

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

pepperist

yeah, i'm beginning to think it must be the spool shaft rubbing against some part of the reel that i greased. im pretty sure both ends of the spool shaft are grease-free, but maybe there is a portion of the spool shaft that comes into contact with a greased part of the right side plate?? i'll take another look at it...

alantani

pull out the pinion gear, put it back together and give it a spin.  i think the pinion gear is slowing down the spool.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pepperist

it was definitely the pinion gear. i would not have thought of pulling it out to see its effect. thanks!

problem solved. i recleaned the pinion gear, and, following the advice you gave someone in another thread, i cleaned the spool shaft and lubed it as well as the inside of the pinion gear with tsi 301. what a difference! i nearly tripled my freespool time (not that freespool is everything).

it's interesting because the inside of the pinion gear was very clean even before i recleaned it... i only had a very, very light layer of corrosion x on the spool shaft/inner-pinion. i guess it's a relatively tight fit to begin with (as it should be), making the stock/regularly-lubed reel a bit slow and thus requiring an even lighter lube (ie tsi301) if one desires a longer freespool/faster reel.

thanks again for all your help!!! it is very much appreciated.  8)

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Nessie Hunter on November 16, 2011, 08:56:35 PM
Also Clean anything out of Pinion Gear & Spool shaft (light oil only). 
Any grease that migrated in there will slow it also..

;D

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!