Three se7ens

Quote from: RowdyW on April 17, 2016, 12:32:40 AM
But what about the guy that doesn't want to spend the money or is to cheap because he only has a few basic reels. Should he spend $500 or more for premium tools? It's a decision that you have to make according to how far you want to go. Maybe sometimes it's cheaper or easier to send it out & have it serviced.

I dont think everybody needs something like Wiha, but there needs to be a minimum level of quality to ensure you dont spend more time and money tearing up and replacing screws than you would have on a decent set of drivers. 

Id consider the better store branded ones(husky, cobalt, etc) to be a minimum quality level.  Harbor freight, off brand, etc, shouldnt be really be considered.

If money is an issue, get something that takes replaceable bits.  You can get a decent driver for under $10, and quality bits with a 1/4" hex drive are readily available and inexpensive.  Its not as convenient as separate drivers for each size, but you can have a full set of good quality without spending a lot of money. 

PacRat

Sid is right...everyone needs a set of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/264720/wheeler-engineering-43-piece-professional-gunsmithing-screwdriver-set

If you like guns too, get the bigger set as it has special bits that you'll need. The small set in the link has every size you will ever need for reels and will keep your screws in perfect condition.

-Mike

RowdyW

You guys are just talking about screwdrivers. what about the rest of the tools needed? Even HF has hollow ground bits that work fine for most people. I'm not trying to plug HF but if you just do your own reels every year or two you don't need premium tools. it's different if you service reels as a livelihood or service so many reels that you don't have time to go fishing. I'm talking about the average guy not a reelhead. For instance the only file an average guy owns is his wife's or girlfriends fingernail file. I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic all my life & whether I worked in a shop or out in the field every mechanic was trying to outdo everybody else with more expensive tools that couldn't do a better job then the regular brands of tools. I have broken, worn out, & bent Snap On tools but I didn't only buy & use that brand. There are many other brands of hand tools that are lifetime garaunteed also & cost less & do the same job. For instance why buy a $30 slip joint plier when a $5 pair will hold something just as well. The only reason for the $30 plier is show & tell time.

PacRat

We all know that the stamped Penn wrenches will do just fine for the nuts and bolts but when it comes to screws; it's not the place to be cheap. For instance the number one clue that a reel (or firearm) has been 'Bubba'ed' is when the screws have been boogered up by using the wrong screwdriver. This de-values a reel. Most Penns use chrome over brass screws and they are somewhat soft and easily damaged, stainless steel oval head Newell screws are harder but also harder to replace when damaged. These screws aren't cheap to replaced and there are more reasons than just protecting the screws. How about the anodizing? What could be worse than having an ill-fitting screwdriver slip and put a nasty scratch on your new Cortez Conversions sideplate?...or worse a rare Accurate Magnum sideplate! We can economize on most of our tools but quality screwdrivers are a good investment. 
Just my two cents worth
-Mike

RowdyW

My Cortez & Accurate plates came with allen head screws. And my HF insert screwdriver bits fit my screws perfectly. And they are cheaper because of the cheap labor in China. What tools do you think are used to assemble all the Chinese products?

Tiddlerbasher

Fattuna the 3oz grease guns were from a car parts/ serving store. Mine leaked at every joint to start with.
I stripped 'em down and wrapped every thread with PTFE tape. Every part was screwed together reel tight :) now they don't leak ;)

sdlehr

Quote from: PacRat on April 17, 2016, 02:58:01 AM
Sid is right...everyone needs a set of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/264720/wheeler-engineering-43-piece-professional-gunsmithing-screwdriver-set
-Mike
My set is made by Winchester, for guns, but is pretty much the same as this one. I think I picked it up on Amazon for about $15-20 and now I have hollow-ground 1/4" drive screwdriver bits for all sizes, as well as Phillips, hex and star...

For the average guy the screwdriver is the best investment, and can be pretty cheap. One of these and an AT wrench and a needle-nose plier is about all you need to do this... speaking maintenance only, not hot-rodding.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

FatTuna

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 17, 2016, 10:07:03 AM
Fattuna the 3oz grease guns were from a car parts/ serving store. Mine leaked at every joint to start with.
I stripped 'em down and wrapped every thread with PTFE tape. Every part was screwed together reel tight :) now they don't leak ;)

I'll have to try that trick. The leaking grease was driving me nuts. I put it in a bucket and it's been sitting ever since.

Shark Hunter

I hope Sal isn't watching, because he does not like to use electric drivers. I have a nice skil, but a little too powerful.
I think this little black and decker lithium driver from wal mart is the ticket.
It has a clutch and works great, From Everol's to the Biggest Penn's, One of my favorite tools.
The clutch is the key for setting the torque.
When you are dealing with this many long screws. you need a little help. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 19, 2016, 06:11:49 AM
I hope Sal isn't watching, because he does not like to use electric drivers.
Especially on a $2000 reel ;) ...labor of love my friend :).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

For me on screwdrivers -- it is a matter of what I am comfortable using, scratch and screw slot booger safe, plus experience and finesse.

As a rule, even an old LB 60 only gets touched initially with a manual screwdriver.  I can feel the threads if they are going to be an issue if salt fused, or encrusted.  Sometimes, after an initial inspection of the reel -- even with salt or crusted screws -- the  cordless will save more time -- but more importantly -- will be safer and less chance of slipping if the proper amount of downward pressure is applied.

If OK and good loose threads -- the power screwdriver is used -- if not, generally a combination is used as appropriate.

The right type of cordless screwdriver is important -- should have strong torque starting from "0".  With a variable speed that is fully manageable.  Must have a clutch ring that can be dialed back for the proper torque without damging parts.

Good tips of the proper size are important.

Plus, I generally have two cordless ready to go -- so tips do not have to be changed as much.

On a typical 45 minute to 1 hour breakdown, cleaning, upgrade, and completion of a reel -- a cordless will save me 15 minutes -- and my hands will not be worn out -- and will be ready for the next reel.  Figure that might help to get a couple of extra reels done in a day -- and easier and more efficiently.

At the end of the day -- judgement is always first in line.  Some reels only get a manual screwdriver -- and some get a combination of both.

And then there is the finesse of using a cordless driver as a manual driver without power just for speed and efficiency.  And the proper power and torque with the proper amount of carefully placed downward positive force.

Everyone has their own comfort level -- and that is why it is good to not paint with too broad of a brush.

Everyone is different.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Everyone should use whatever they're comfortable using. I need to feel the screw by hand and not depend on a tool, but that's just me. I've seen a bunch of aluminum plates with damaged caused by a power drive, those will slip very easily on slatted screws.
I realized I'm not going to get rich servicing reels, so doing it by hand works for me.

sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rancanfish

Well, if you get the old man shakes I don't think it matters, you are going to slip.   ;D
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Marcq

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 19, 2016, 06:11:49 AM
I hope Sal isn't watching, because he does not like to use electric drivers. I have a nice skil, but a little too powerful.
I think this little black and decker lithium driver from wal mart is the ticket.
It has a clutch and works great, From Everol's to the Biggest Penn's, One of my favorite tools.
The clutch is the key for setting the torque.
When you are dealing with this many long screws. you need a little help. ;)

Man! That thing looks like it just gave birth to a monofil  :o

Marc..

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 20, 2016, 01:51:38 AM
Well, if you get the old man shakes I don't think it matters, you are going to slip.   ;D
Yup!
I rest my screwdriver next to my thumb as I cradle the reel as a baby :).