Penn 100 bushings

Started by Limey, November 16, 2011, 03:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Limey

Hello all,

I have purchased some new metal bushings for a Penn Surfmaster 100/150/200 from the official Pure Fishing / Penn source here in the UK but the new bushings seem to make the alloy spool sit too far to the right so that #25 monofil sometimes finds its way between spool and frame when casting. I am leaving an almost inperceptable ammount of end play on the spool so that is runs freely but this seems to push it too far right. If the spool is visually centred then the ammount of end play leaves it rattling and knocking. I have returned the bearings and the fellow that deals with the orders was very helpful and sent a new set but they also seem to run too far to the right as well. I have tried various combinations of spools and new bearings on two penn 100s and on a 200 but the new bearings all seem the same. He seems to think the bearigns are produced in the far east.

Have you guys in the US experienced anything similar?

As the guy over here will no doubt have a thousand bearings that he is stuck with, I'm guessing that I need to have a friend skim a few thou off of the internal face of the bearing nut to let it sit further left.

Any ideas chaps?

Cheers for now

Limey

Irish Jigger

Hi Limey and welcome to the Forum.   Phone Mick Simmons 01386552949 (Penn Servicing, Pershore Worcs.) who should have the original made in the usa parts in stock.  If not he will be able to help solve your problem.

Check the handle side bearing/bushing 26-155. It should measure 7mm (0.28 in) from the inside face to the end which goes inside the reel.

Unfortunately these spares are now made in China.

Alto Mare

Did you try the bushing on another reel? Might not be the bushing :-\. Try something simple first, expand the clutch springs about a 1/4 of an inch by pulling them apart and see if that helps any.

Sorry, I just noticed that you said that you tried it on other reels.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Limey

Hello Fellahs,

Mick Simmons is where I got them from. I'm in regular contact with him as I'm always after bits for reels. He sold me the last couple of the old stock from the US a while back. Its him who seems to think that the bearings are made in the far east. Mick has actually been very helpful and had one of the side plates in and has tried to find the bearings that didn't sit too far to the right.

I tried the bearings on 2 100's and a 200 that I have and the result was the same. I had an older bearing that didn't cause the same problem. If all else fails I'll have to order some from your side of the pond and take the postal charges on the chin.

Cheers for the replies.

Limey

Irish Jigger

I have modified  the longer Penn 65 bearing (26-60) by drilling the 0.125 inch bore deeper and cutting 7mm off to make it a 26-155  when I needed one in an emergency. It is a fairly simple operation.

Glad Mick was able to help,he is a great guy and I am sure he will be able to get you the parts you need otherwise you will have to order them from MysticParts and hope they are not made in China! >:(

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"