Daiwa SL20SH clutch spring

Started by g1zmo, November 17, 2011, 11:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g1zmo

I've just stripped my (new) Daiwa sealine SL20SH prior to greasing it up and fitting a monomag and am having great trouble relocating the clutch spring (31), I think the upwards pointing part of the spring locates in the clutch cam (30) but where on earth does the other end locate. I've stripped and serviced Penn 525's, various Abus and Okumas (classics and Magnetix) but I've never been flummoxed like this before. I was hoping the sealine 30 tutorial would give me a clue but the pictures aren't available at the moment. Can anyone on here help me out with this as I'm really stuck at the moment, thank you, Craig

redsetta

G'day and welcome aboard g1zmo,
You're right that the 'hook' on the clutch spring (#31) slides into the cam (#30) from beneath (as shown below).
Once the cam is placed back in the side plate, align the spring towards the left and you'll see a little notch in the side plate (indicated by the arrow) that the straight end of the spring will slot into.
Best to re-affix the clutch lever (#32) before putting the spring under pressure to get it into the notch.
The following pic should help:

Hope that's of some assitance.
All the best, Justin
PS Schematic here: http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_SL20SH.pdf
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

g1zmo

Many thanks redsetta I appreciate your help. I phoned Daiwa support this morning and they gave me the same answer. I had actually tried to fit it into that notch but it was such a tight squeeze I figured that it couldn't be right apparently it is a very tight fit. Thanks once again.

g1zmo

Just a post following on from redsettas reply. I managed to reseat the clutch spring, it fits as in the pic below

It's very fiddly to reseat the components. I found the best way was to hold the upward part of the spring ({B} Daiwa part no. 31) into the clutch cam (Daiwa part no. 30) and 'finesse' the other end of the spring {A} into place at the same time as fitting the clutch cam into it's hole. If you fit the cam into place and then try and force the spring into it's plastic locator bracket you'll end up (as I did) with a spring disappearing into the far corner of the room never to be seen again (thank you Daiwa for sending a couple of free replacement springs).