Screws backing out on c/s 551 reel foot?

Started by sinkerswim, November 18, 2011, 04:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinkerswim

Hey guys,

On a recently purchased Pro Gear c/s 551, when used, the four reel foot screws loosened. I didn't start out using the rod it was attached to. But, when I lost a rig. I picked it up dropped it down to the deep, when I reeled it up it was wobbly. I noticed the screws which attach the foot to the reel had backed out not the two screws that attach the clamp to the rod. Engine vibration? When I got this reel I went through it using the Alan Tani method and naturally greased the screws. They were tightened down snug. Should I locktite them?

kamuwela

some screw's may back out when greased. most feet are locktited in from the factory. screw's will back out from the boat's vibration (trolling reel's) you will need to check the screw's periodically. if you do use locktite dont use the  red one. locktite comes in differnt strength's. try and tighten them down and see if they hold before trying the locktite i have found some reel feet almost impossible to get off with locktite.

Jimmer

Anyone ever try silicone sealer or clear caulk on these? I haven't either, but I've used it on other self loosening screws. It seals well and has enough stickiness when set up to hold without creating future removal problems.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

kamuwela

Quote from: Jimmer on November 18, 2011, 05:47:32 PM
Anyone ever try silicone sealer or clear caulk on these? I haven't either, but I've used it on other self loosening screws. It seals well and has enough stickiness when set up to hold without creating future removal problems.

along time ago a friend taught me this trick. we had to do it to a rear gear that kept coming loose. we put silicone under the washer's and tightend down the bolts and never came loose again.

Norcal Pescador

If you don't mind ugly :P, a favorite among the off-road racing crowd (at least when I was in the game) was/is 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. After the screw/nut was tight, put a dab on it from the post or head, bridging to the other surface it was against. It stays soft, but screws and nuts never came off on their own. :)  Kamu's probably referring to the blue Locktite - that's what I use.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

sinkerswim

Kamu and Rob, as we all know, Alan is definitely not a locktite fan. And, I don't want to solve the loosening problem. Then create another by not being able to remove it. The weather strip adhesive sounds like it would work. I'm just curious as to what you mean by ugly. Sloppy to work with? Isn't eye appealing? Or, you need a lot for a small job? Please pardon my ignorance.

Jimmer, the silicone sealer option seems viable as well. It would seal out the salt and remain pliable. Moreover, it's sold in small tubes at any hardware store. Anyone ever tried this with reels?

Thanks for the replies thus far, you guys are aces!

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: sinkerswim on November 18, 2011, 09:18:51 PM
Kamu and Rob, as we all know, Alan is definitely not a locktite fan. And, I don't want to solve the loosening problem. Then create another by not being able to remove it. The weather strip adhesive sounds like it would work. I'm just curious as to what you mean by ugly. Sloppy to work with? Isn't eye appealing? Or, you need a lot for a small job? Please pardon my ignorance.

Jimmer, the silicone sealer option seems viable as well. It would seal out the salt and remain pliable. Moreover, it's sold in small tubes at any hardware store. Anyone ever tried this with reels?

Thanks for the replies thus far, you guys are aces!

Even the blue locktite can be too much. (Alan, don't read any further ;D) If I do use it, I put a drop on the screw then blot up most of it with the corner of a paper towel. As far as the weatherstrip adhesive, it's yellow clean and new, then turns to the color of brown mustard as it ages and gets dirty. Clever how I kept dirty diapers out of it! :P  It's also hard to apply just a very small amount. :-\  I'd only use it where it won't show.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

not a problem.  i have always worried about this issue.  i see too many screws that are corroded and have caused too much damage to the side plate.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!