What rod for these Quick reels?

Started by Beachmaster, December 26, 2019, 12:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Quote from: Beachmaster on December 27, 2019, 08:22:52 PM
Quote from: festus on December 27, 2019, 07:38:48 PM
Quote from: Beachmaster on December 27, 2019, 06:47:39 PM
I'm on vacation here in Colorado and a local Walmart has the yellow Eagle Claw 6'6" Medium spinning rod 6-12 lb line weight for $17. Would that work for the 285's?
Sure, it would be a good choice.

Also for your 110N, Bass Pro has these Micro Lite Glass rods in lengths from 5' to 7' 6".  Similar to the Eagle Claw Featherlights except it has the more traditional handle.  $19.99.

I actually received the Eagle Claw Featherlight UL rod for Christmas.  On another note, I just stopped in a thrift store and picked up an excellent condition Gladding Southbend 870 spinning reel for $7
I have one of those SB 870 in brand new conditions and did a breakdown of it a while back.  https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=28246.0

Beachmaster

Thanks! Just read through your breakdown off that reel. I brought my tools and a few of my Quicks with me to keep me busy when I get bored. Looks like I will be breaking down the Gladding as well.  What pound test line and rod action would pair with this 870?

festus

Quote from: Beachmaster on December 27, 2019, 08:57:34 PM
Thanks! Just read through your breakdown off that reel. I brought my tools and a few of my Quicks with me to keep me busy when I get bored. Looks like I will be breaking down the Gladding as well.  What pound test line and rod action would pair with this 870?
Mine got spooled with 12 lb. Berkley Big Game mono, but 15 lb or 17 lb mono would do well. I cast it in the yard a few times on a 9' MH Cabela's Whuppin' Stik, but it hasn't really been fished yet.

philaroman

"I'm on vacation here in Colorado..."

"I just stopped in a thrift store..."

might want to keep an eye out for vintage W&M yellow glass, actually made in Colorado"

that would be period-correct AND on par w/ DAM quality level

Beachmaster

Will do. I also found the blue Mitchell 402 saltwater on a bamboo rod. They wanted $40 for the whole rig. I left it there. I wasn't willing to drop $40 even though I know it's well worth that. I asked if they would separate the reel from the rod and they would not.