What rod for these Quick reels?

Started by Beachmaster, December 26, 2019, 12:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

I have the following Quick reels that I picked up on ebay and I need to pair them with a rod.  I was thinking of just picking up some decent Medium action fiberglass rods as I want to keep the cost down?  Here are the reels I have: Finessa 285, 330N, 110N.

foakes

For a good value --

Wal-Mart online has Wright-McGill in fiberglass -- various sizes and weights and actions.

They also have Ugly-Stiks -- which are great values too.

Lots of rods out there -- I find the action of glass much better and more forgiving than graphite on my Quicks.

The 285 and the 330N will take the same rod -- the 110N should be a lighter rod.

For a little more $$$ -- Fenwick older glass rods are my favorites.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Beachmaster

duckdog

Great question was just wondering the same. I bought a decent 550 and will meet a fellow to buy a 110 220n and 330 this week. I'm nearly 67 finally going to have some fun!

philaroman

give rock-bottom Quantum/Zebco a close look...  LITERALLY!!!

I've come across several that are very nice Korean tobacco glass under the ugly paint

(you can only tell at the unpainted male ferule end, or guess by blank diameter w/ 1-pc.)

components are extra crappy, though, & they tend to be 1 guide short

Beachmaster

I took Fred's advise from another post he made and I paired the 110N up with the 6' Eagle Claw Ultralight from Walmart.  Can't wait to wrap some 4# test around that reel and catch some bream come Spring!

oc1

Make it interesting and get a rod built in the same era as the reel.  Used rods are dirt cheap because few people have space to collect them.
-steve

Beachmaster

That's a good idea!  Estate/garage sales?  I would pick up from ebay but I would worry about the actual condition.

oc1

Estate/garage/flea market sales require too much scheduling and running around for me.  Ebay pictures are good enough and you pretty much know what your getting.
-steve

philaroman

if you're going w/ vintage glass, do some reading here (the Spinning section):
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33&sid=67c4f69b0d82b875bbf2f8cf059ab5ff

Fenwick may be best for UL/XUL (most precise blank specs & best variety, by far)

but for M/ML, your premium brand options go up

Midway Tommy

If you are going to go period correct fiberglass it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Most of the main tackle manufacturers, other than maybe Shakespeare & Fenwick, used the same blanks. Some used seconds with visual imperfections and just painted them while others used the tobacco colored blanks.

The most important thing would be to get the right size, weight & action for the reel you're going to put on it. Garcia, NARMCO, South Bend, Zebco, Heddon Lifetime Pal, Herter's, etc., all had decent quality lines of fiberglass rods.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

TJAndrews

I have two 331s and one 330. One 331 was a Christmas present over 45 years ago, and I bought the other reels on eBay a year ago last October.

I bought a 7ft Ugly Stik Elite for the "newer" 331 on an Amazon Black Friday deal. (in the middle of the photo) The 330 went on a medium-action 7ft fiberglass rod that I assembled myself around 20 years ago for an old Mitchell 304, from parts purchased from Jann's Netcraft. (top of the photo) I used both on my annual fishing trip to the St. Lawrence River last August, and both were highly satisfactory.

But my all-time favorite outfit has to be the "older" 331 on the rod I custom-made for it something like 25 years ago. That one used a 7ft. old-style Ugly Stik blank, and parts salvaged from another favorite home-built rod that met with an unfortunate boating accident. (No longer do I attempt to climb out of a boat while carrying a fishing rod...) That outfit has brought dozens of St. Lawrence bass and walleyes into the boat, with no signs of being ready to stop.

Beachmaster

I'm on vacation here in Colorado and a local Walmart has the yellow Eagle Claw 6'6" Medium spinning rod 6-12 lb line weight for $17. Would that work for the 285's?

festus

Quote from: Beachmaster on December 27, 2019, 06:47:39 PM
I'm on vacation here in Colorado and a local Walmart has the yellow Eagle Claw 6'6" Medium spinning rod 6-12 lb line weight for $17. Would that work for the 285's?
Sure, it would be a good choice.

Also for your 110N, Bass Pro has these Micro Lite Glass rods in lengths from 5' to 7' 6".  Similar to the Eagle Claw Featherlights except it has the more traditional handle.  $19.99.

Beachmaster

Quote from: festus on December 27, 2019, 07:38:48 PM
Quote from: Beachmaster on December 27, 2019, 06:47:39 PM
Sure, it would be a good choice.

Also for your 110N, Bass Pro has these Micro Lite Glass rods in lengths from 5' to 7' 6".  Similar to the Eagle Claw Featherlights except it has the more traditional handle.  $19.99.

I actually received the Eagle Claw Featherlight UL rod for Christmas.  On another note, I just stopped in a thrift store and picked up an excellent condition Gladding Southbend 870 spinning reel for $7