makaira 15 2 sp

Started by intili, November 19, 2011, 03:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

intili

Hi Alan,
i was spooling my new makaira with 100
# spiderwire and tying on to the spool pin with a uni knot and as i was tightening the knot the pin pulled right out!
I know that you may have an inside line there, so can you suggest a contact name?
Reguards from NJ!

alantani

talk to any of the okuma guys, 800-466-5862, but i actually never use the pin.  i use a layer of black electrical tape or flex wrap around the arbor, the run the line 3-5 times around and cinch it down with a 5 turn uni knot.  that should hold.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Hey Alan:  I get how you rig up.  However, I believe the real issue is that the Okuma Makaira is an expensive reel.  So if the manufacturer makes a spool with a pin, it should work and not pull out.  That is sloppy quality control or sloppy manufacturing.  Okuma should replace the reel no questions asked.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

agreed, the pin should not pull out ........ 

intili

Ok Guys, so i spoke with Ron at OKUMA at the suggestion of Mark Smith at Charkbait where i bought the reel, and we will see how this pans out. The pin concept is not new older Penns had them and i have never had a problem tieing off on those. My first impression of this pin was that it was very small, and i was horrified when it broke off upon cinching down the UNI(100# stealth).
I'll keep you posted!

locknut

Although this shouldn't happen I have had the same thing happen on an Okuma Cedros 10S. My concern with the problem was water working thorough the hole into the spool over time, or corrosion starting at this point. Still love the reels even with this problem. On the Okumas I recently returned from Fiji and the rubberised black handle had gone soft and spongy on my Makaira 15 so I sent to the NZ agent to have a look at. They said they weren't happy with the high speed gear so replaced the reel.  With customer service like that I will keep buying them

alantani

well, yeah, but i would still not use the pin.  

coastalobsession

Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on November 19, 2011, 08:26:26 PM
Hey Alan:  I get how you rig up.  However, I believe the real issue is that the Okuma Makaira is an expensive reel.  So if the manufacturer makes a spool with a pin, it should work and not pull out.  That is sloppy quality control or sloppy manufacturing.  Okuma should replace the reel no questions asked.  Dominick

I'm with you Dominick, you're absolutely right.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Irish Jigger

Quote from: intili on November 19, 2011, 03:12:53 AM
Hi Alan,
i was spooling my new makaira with 100
# spiderwire and tying on to the spool pin with a uni knot and as i was tightening the knot the pin pulled right out!
I know that you may have an inside line there, so can you suggest a contact name?
Reguards from NJ!

I hope you have better service from Okuma US than I had from their UK people. They asked what the faults were saying they would inform their engineers. Never had a reply to three subsequent emails I sent. Would not recommend Okuma to anyone on this side of the pond. Poor design, never had a Penn spool pin pull out, but THEN they were not made in China! ;)

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Irish Jigger on November 23, 2011, 03:17:56 PM
I hope you have better service from Okuma US than I had from their UK people. They asked what the faults were saying they would inform their engineers. Never had a reply to three subsequent emails I sent. Would not recommend Okuma to anyone on this side of the pond. Poor design, never had a Penn spool pin pull out, but THEN they were not made in China! ;)

;D ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

intili

Since it was my reel that the pin pulled out on, i called Ron at okuma, I expressed my opinion that the pin should be capable of holding back the force of tightening a knot by hand, which it was not, and i am by no means superman! He agrees and I await his response. For the capability and cost of the reel i expect more, we shall see!

alantani

so, let's says that you have the misfortune of hooking up on a submarine that is passing by.  the line is going to pull out and your drag will not stop it.  before you get to the bottom of the spool, grab a pair of pliers or wire cutters and jam the soft neoprene handle up against the spool to lock it down.  that way the leader will break and you will get all of your expensive spectra back.  but if you are not fast enough, then the line will get down to the arbor it will break a split second later.  the questions is, will it break at the hook end or the reel end.

Dominick

Quote from: alantani on November 24, 2011, 12:20:48 AM
if you are not fast enough, then the line will get down to the arbor it will break a split second later.  the questions is, will it break at the hook end or the reel end.
I seriously contemplated this question.  Opened a second bottle of wine instead ::).  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

Good man Dominick - a tool for the contemplative mind...  ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer