Penn 60

Started by Keta, November 19, 2011, 03:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

One of my "friends" left a Penn 60 on my bench, his lovely wife thought I needed it more than he did, and I was tired of watching Flex Coat cure so I took it apart for a much needed cleaning.   

I found a felt oil ring or "seal" under the gear sleeve that is not on the schematic.....Is this something someone put in in the past?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

The very earliest Long Beaches and Senators had that felt ring. I'd trash it so it doesn't collect saltwater. You'll need to add another belleville washer or taller spacer under the star. And be sure to stick in carbon fiber drag washers.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Keta

Quote from: akfish on November 19, 2011, 03:48:53 PM
And be sure to stick in carbon fiber drag washers.
Thanks and....Yup!

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

the post on the bridge plate probably has a smaller diameter as well.  if the gear sleeve is damaged, you will have to replace the entire bridge assembly. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

I'll check the dimension when I go to the shop today.  Right now I'm avoiding shoveling snow.

Mark Twain

Ward

I was given a Penn Long Beach 60 that's really old.  The outer edge of the sideplates are flat and not somewhat rounded like more recent reels.  Another difference is the anti reverse spring is a flat spring.  The flat spring was missing and I didn't have one so made up a few out of some thin brass that work well.  It's a neat old reel and destined to sit on my office shelf with a couple other old, interesting reels.  A few visitors to my office have noticed it and saw the differences immediately.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: alantani on November 19, 2011, 04:56:04 PM
the post on the bridge plate probably has a smaller diameter as well.  if the gear sleeve is damaged, you will have to replace the entire bridge assembly.  
Keta,
Does the bridge have a four-digit number, 2345, for example? I had some really old, I mean OLD, parts with numbers like 2700. Maybe yours is one of the originals before Penn started their current system. Did you see any Roman Numerals?
 ;D ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Quote from: norcal pescador on November 23, 2011, 05:55:02 PM
Quote from: alantani on November 19, 2011, 04:56:04 PM
the post on the bridge plate probably has a smaller diameter as well.  if the gear sleeve is damaged, you will have to replace the entire bridge assembly.  
Keta,
Does the bridge have a four-digit number, 2345, for example? I had some really old, I mean OLD, parts with numbers like 2700. Maybe yours is one of the originals before Penn started their current system. Did you see any Roman Numerals?  ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.