NOS - 2002

Started by Gobi King, January 08, 2020, 04:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

I used to skim through walmarts in obscure locations when I was on the road for work.

In Colton, CA I found few Abu Ambassadeurs on sale back in the day.

I was out at my local fishing tackle store and look what I snagged.

NOS 2002
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Gobi King

more pics
Fichigan

Gobi King

The above statement about finding it at my local tackle store is a jooooke, I found it on ebay ;-)
Fichigan

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gobi King on January 08, 2020, 04:55:52 PM
The above statement about finding it at my local tackle store is a jooooke, I found it on ebay ;-)

I was about to say HOLY SMOKES! :o Then I saw the fine print!  ;D Even so, nice find!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Congratulations!  This is my favourite series of DAM reels. If you use it, you will find it very difficult to ever sell it.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

philaroman

the large print giveth, and the small print taketh away  ;D  nice catch!

is there a 2000/2001 -- i.e., can you upgrade to a metal spool?

I've been thinking about going that route, if possible:

getting an "02" cheaper, then hunting for a compatible 00/01 spool

...or, maybe, just getting the smallest (1202?), where spool material would matter least

foakes

Good find, Gobi --

In my latest acquisition of DQ parts a few months ago -- There are enough NOS parts to make many of these from scratch, as new reels.  Maybe I will do that someday.

Roman --

The 2001 & 2002 spools interchange without any issues.

But frankly, I have yet to ever see a failure on a 2002 spool.  They are not really plastic -- something else much tougher.

So, while they will easily interchange -- it is not really an upgrade -- just personal preference.  And nothing wrong with that!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Crow

Looks to be a good one, Shibs !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

philaroman

thanks Fred,

I know small high-end synthetic spools are lighter & perfectly fine strength-wise, but I like good AL better for user error:
dings & scrapes to the lip don't seem to go as deep & I have an easier time polishing them out
(or, maybe, all the graphite spools I tried to polish w/ poor results, were cheap crappy ones)

Gobi King

Thanks guys, I nearly passed on it but it was too tempting.

Good info on the spools, Phil,  I don't think I can bring myself to using this reel, just can't do it.

Yeah, I like the smaller reels, I have worn joints and smaller reels make jigging and casting 12 hours at a go for fun.

Dang, nice NOS parts Fred.

Makes sense why an AL spool will work better, I have to put covers on my reel before I toss them on to my truck bed, I nicked the spool on one couple of months back.

Fichigan

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Gobi King on January 09, 2020, 01:37:10 PM
Thanks guys, I nearly passed on it but it was too tempting.

Makes sense why an AL spool will work better, I have to put covers on my reel before I toss them on to my truck bed, I nicked the spool on one couple of months back.

I use reel covers extensively and religiously. I must have at least 50 of them, the old Cabela's, Bass Pro, Garcia, Zebco, etc.,  big deluxe vinyl ones like these.   I install them opposite of most people. I slide the big end on first over the rod so that it's at the rear of the handle because I think they travel & stack better. All my reels, when not in use, are covered. That's why my user reels look almost like new and, since I use Super Lube, don't need to be serviced quite as often.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

basto

One advantage  the 2002 spools have over any alloy spool is that they don't corrode.
My little ABU cardinal 5 (greenline) has a non metal spool and it always looks good and is quite strong enough for the line it was designed for.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mo65

Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 09, 2020, 07:23:21 PM
I use reel covers extensively and religiously.

I've been using reel covers a lot in the past few years also. As usual though...my reel covers are cheapos...I use my worn out socks! :D  I cut the "foot" portion off and use the "legging" part. I just pull them over the reel and they hang on tight because of the elastic threading. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

handyandy

Quote from: mo65 on January 10, 2020, 05:16:18 PM
Quote from: Midway Tommy on January 09, 2020, 07:23:21 PM
I use reel covers extensively and religiously.

I've been using reel covers a lot in the past few years also. As usual though...my reel covers are cheapos...I use my worn out socks! :D  I cut the "foot" portion off and use the "legging" part. I just pull them over the reel and they hang on tight because of the elastic threading. 8)

That's some good thinking my old t shirts, socks, pants etc usually get cut up for shop rag use. I'll have to start saving some for more reel covers as of now I use some cheap neoprene covers I got off ebay. Nice find on that 2002. Fred if you ever start putting together new 00, 01, or 02 series let me know I'd be on board for one. I have a little 1000 I scored a while back that I went through it's now one of my favorites. I've got 3001 I went through not long ago that I gave to my dad a little while ago. Great reels.