New member from FL

Started by NesandAaca, November 19, 2011, 10:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NesandAaca

First off I'd like to thank Alan for creating this site and for respond to my message. He's great! I'm getting a okuma makaira 80w. I'm also wanting a 30w reel which I'm unsure of what to get... So what should it be?
Nigel.
Shark fishing from land! WHAT???

kamuwela

Bryan Young

Aloha Nigel.  Glad you joined us.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Welcome from Northern California, Nigel. This the place to be! 8)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Dominick

Quote from: NesandAaca on November 19, 2011, 10:13:12 PM
First off I'd like to thank Alan for creating this site and for respond to my message. He's great! I'm getting a okuma makaira 80w. I'm also wanting a 30w reel which I'm unsure of what to get... So what should it be?
Nigel.
Nigel:  Welcome:  you can't expect an answer without telling us what you expect to fish for.  Both are big game sized reels.  Give us more information.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

NesandAaca

I guess I should be telling you what I'm going to be fishing for since this helps lol. I fish for sharks from piers and beaches and the occasional Goliath grouper from the pier. I'm a land based fisherman and I've had great luck over the past years down here and I'm only 21

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

NesandAaca

Alto Mare

Welcome Nigel! A lot of guys like to use older Penn Senators for the type of fishing that you're doing  down there. Could you give us some ditails of the gear that you're using?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Welcome aboard Nigel - looking forward to hearing some land-based stories.
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dominick

Nigel:  It sounds like you are new to land based shark fishing.  If I were you, I would do some more research.  The Makaira 80W weighs 7lbs and you probably cannot cast with it.  The Makaira 30 weighs 3lbs.  Both these reels are really trolling reels not for land based fishing.  I would go with Sal (alto mare) and use an older Penn.  Specifically a Penn Senator 114HLW.  You can pick one up on ebay at a reasonable price.  Give it pre-fishing maintenance as advocated on this site up-grade the drags and go have fun fishing.  This is a great reel for the type of fishing you are expecting to do.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Rare

Most if not all guys when beach fishing for sharks use a yak to put out their bloody bait. If from a pier or from the Keys bridge they float them out on balloons, water bottle, etc. From shimano tiagra Reels, Peen 12/0,, Avet EX/Trx., accuate 50 size as well.

Rare

You get the picture why the big reels are needed...lol

Dominick

Hey Cool:  I watched the video.  Too bad it did not show the reel.  I gotcha though.  You can get the bait out without casting by floating it out.  I suppose you can use the heavy reels with a fighting belt and harness.  I guess I should have kept my mouth shut not knowing about how you fish in Florida.  I was in Florida once, but it was closed ;D.  I might make a trip there again.  Dominick

Alto Mare

Dominick, you didn't say anything wrong. The 114h has enough guts to handle that,heck I've seen a 113h bring in a nice size shark..... Good ol' Penn's
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.