Hi-Speed Gears For Jigmaster & 113H??

Started by Norcal Pescador, November 22, 2011, 05:37:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norcal Pescador

With Newell out of the picture until who knows when, is anyone interested in making 5:1 gears for the Jigmaster/112H series and 4:1 gears for the 113H/HL/HLW series? Stainless would be preferred, of course.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

what you have to do is get the penn 505 hs gear set, then drill out the inside of the pinion gear so that it fits onto the spool of the 500 jigmaster or the 112h senator.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

No such luck for the 113H models ..........  ???

:( :(
Rob

Alto Mare

Yea.... any more tricks up your sleeves Alan? :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

My former machinist thought paying taxes was optional and is now hiding in another country but my #2 "back up machinist" said if he had a drawing or better yet the gears he has the tools to do make them.  I need to take a 6 pack to "back up machinist" #1's shop and see if he has the right tooling.....he works for beer but will not touch tequila.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Keta on November 22, 2011, 04:04:13 PM
My former machinist thought paying taxes was optional and is now hiding in another country .....

That's a good one! :D :D
If someone did take it on, they'd probably have a few bucks left over after paying taxes.  ;D
If I had a set of each to send, along with a six-pack .....
Rob
Rob

George4741

Must the standard Jigmaster sideplate gear opening be enlarged to allow clearance for the 5:1 gear?
George
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

no, you just grind down the lip of the 5:1 gear so that the height matches the 4:1 gear.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Keta

Quote from: norcal pescador on November 22, 2011, 04:50:53 PM
Quote from: Keta on November 22, 2011, 04:04:13 PM
My former machinist thought paying taxes was optional and is now hiding in another country .....

That's a good one! :D :D
If someone did take it on, they'd probably have a few bucks left over after paying taxes.  ;D
If I had a set of each to send, along with a six-pack .....
Rob

Plan A fell through so it looks like plan B ( "B" for beer), I need to run out and see him anyway.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: George4741 on November 22, 2011, 04:51:55 PM
Must the standard Jigmaster sideplate gear opening be enlarged to allow clearance for the 5:1 gear?
George
I just took an X-acto knife and scraped the wall of the main gear well a bit until the gear turned without touching. Probably took off no more than 1/64 of an inch. Either method should work.
Rob

redsetta

If anyone is considering knocking up some S/S 4:1 and 5:1 gears as per Rob's initial post, I'll take a couple of each...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Irish Jigger

Quote from: alantani on November 22, 2011, 05:47:09 PM
no, you just grind down the lip of the 5:1 gear so that the height matches the 4:1 gear.

I have just fitted a set of Jigmaster 5:1 gears Part Nos 005-505 and 013-505 to a standard Jigmaster 505 that I am changing to a 501 without having to modify the Right Side Plate.

I fitted another set of these gears to a 112H but had to file two clearance "steps" in the  stainless steel pinion reinforcing ring (013-505) in order to clear the spool spindle drive flats. Fiddly but easily done using a 1/8 in dia. needle file.

Brendan

After installing Newell gears, Allan's stainless sleeve, carbontex washers, stainless yoke, and Newell bearings to a 501, I am unable to get the reel in and out of gear unless I back off the handle side bearing a strong 16". Once I do this the spool grinds on that side like the bearing / bushing has no effect on the spool and appears to be in the way of the star drag. Any ideas?
Thanks, Brendan.

Alto Mare

Remove the ss yoke and replace it with the original yoke, see if that helps.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Brendan