Making and installing a customised spigot-joint

Started by Leerie18, February 07, 2020, 09:56:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leerie18

Well I was very happy with my recent rod-repair (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30210.0)

The two-piece graphite rod was casting well, and it had handled the fight and the lifting of a 11lbs fish quite adequately – proof enough for me that the repair was a resounding success! ....hmmm, not.

Midway through a session last week, the dreaded gunshot crack was heard as I attempted to launch my 2.5oz lure at the horizon. The tip section had fractured just above the join! @#$%!!!! (I had most probably thinned the tip-section diameter too much in seeking a fit for the base-section, resulting in eventual material fatigue failure.)

As a result of the previous base-section repair, the rod had already been shortened from 11' to 10'6". I could now either bin the sections as spares for future rod projects or finally attempt a spigot-joint repair.
With nothing to lose, and appearing to have the required bits and pieces, challenge accepted!

As the rod was to be a 50:50 split, both base and rod sections were cut to 5' – no evidence of any blank damage remained. The next step was to test fit spare pieces of graphite rod blank to find the right spigot mating pieces. My challenge was extended in that the rod tip and base sections were from different rods (long story...). The tip-section was thicker-walled and presumably stronger.  There was therefore no way that my spigot solution would be found in a single piece due to the taper difference.
LBG addict!

Leerie18

I assumed the spigot-joint to be the future point of weakness or largest risk of failure. How could I mitigate this as well as address the taper issue?

The solution was derived from three pieces of graphite blank:
The spigot piece with two further snug fitting pieces epoxied externally and internally respectively. I reasoned that I had now increased the wall diameter thickness. Once assembled, water paper was gently used to get a precise and tight fit into the rod tip-section.

The end of the spigot was also rounded to prevent any sharp edges coming into contact with the tip section blank under stress. The length covering the spigot area on both rod sections would also get a very tight double wrap with 'D' thread.
LBG addict!

Leerie18

Now ready for installation in the base-section.

The rod butt was removed and the internal installation area of the base-section thickly coated with epoxy. The spigot was then inserted in the base and slid down into the epoxied area to where it was already a snug and tight fit.

Completed spigot installation in base section after clean-up:
LBG addict!

Leerie18

The final fit appears and feels snug and firm – no clicking or wobbling.

The 1/5 inch gap is to account for gradual wear and tear of the spigot over time where the rod sections will move closer to each other. If / when they meet, it will be built-up again with superglue and carefully worked with water paper until the original fit is achieved.
LBG addict!

Leerie18

Time for stress-testing before the required time and precision of the guide-spacing and wrapping! Don't want to go through all that if the repair is going to fail immediately!

With taped-on guides and heart in mouth, I used 2 x 2kg (+- 8 3/4 lbs) weights to repeatedly simulate the swing-lift of an average fish. This is an adequate performance for a salvaged, now 10' rod, however care will be needed in not pushing it beyond this limit. No sign of any stress on the spigot join areas were visible.
LBG addict!

Leerie18

The rod will now be completed and fished on a final notice...one more failure and it will be stripped and benched for spares.
Another satisfying amateur repair iteration completed. I hope this one lasts a bit longer than the previous one and will certainly report if it doesn't.

Caveat:
This project was done on feel and from what little guidance I could find online, albeit for flyfishing rods, which are very different and not subjected to the rigours that heavy tackle land-based spinning rods are. I am no engineer and my assumptions above may be invalid. There are most probably far more effective and durable spigot-making methods out there. Please share
LBG addict!

thorhammer

Cor

This rod now looks like it will last a lifetime.   nice job!
Cornelis