Daiwa 450H question

Started by bebrown73, November 23, 2011, 03:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bebrown73

I followed the 450h breakdown and rebuild but am having problems.   When I put the drive gear and backing plate back in the RS plate, I can turn the shaft and the driver gear #51 turns fine.   When i put the rest of the reel together and turn the handle, the handle turns, but the spool doesn't.  I have checked the clutch lever location and it is the same in both positions.   I took the RS plate apart, and looked at the set up.  I can turn the shaft and everything turns, add a little pressure to the drive gear, the shaft spins.  I assume that when I put the reel together the spool is enough pressure so the driver gear is spining on the shaft.   

There is no key, and it is a round shaft in a round hole.   What prevents this from spinning???

alantani

any chance that the pinion gear is upside down? :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: alantani on November 23, 2011, 08:00:12 AM
any chance that the pinion gear is upside down? :-\

Ditto.....................
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

bebrown73

I will double check that this afternoon, but I don't think so.   I will report back.

THanks

bebrown73

Alan and Nessie,

I looked at the pinon gear yesterday afternoon, and it was installed correctly.   I made a short video of the issue to maybe aid in your analysis.   

In review, how is the main drive gear supposed to be "fixed" to the handle shaft of the set plate (item 25)?  When I took the real apart for servicing, I put it back together and had this issue.   I thought that maybe the inner diameter of the Drive Gear (item 51) was wore out just a little and causing it to spin.  I bought a new drive gear from Daiwa and that is the one you are seeing in the video.  Same issue.  Seems to me that there should be a key to prevent the drive gear from spinning on the shaft.

Thanks for any information, as I am sure that it is an easy fix, but I just can't seem to get it to work.

Brian

Keta

"I thought that maybe the inner diameter of the Drive Gear (item 51) was wore out just a little and causing it to spin.  I bought a new drive gear from Daiwa and that is the one you are seeing in the video.  Same issue.  Seems to me that there should be a key to prevent the drive gear from spinning on the shaft."

The main gear should spin free on the gear sleeve, friction from the drag washer stack is what drives the gear.  

Is the ear of a eared metal drag washer out of it's groove in the main gear?
Did you tighten the drag?  It might sound stupid but it has happened to me in the past.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bebrown73

Guess that I should try that this afternoon.   I think the first time I put it back together, I did, but can't remember.   Thanks for the info.

Brian

Nessie Hunter

Agree.....
Your video shows no pressure on drag washers.. 
Ergo no pressure on drive gear to turn Pinion...   
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

Keta

I should have looked at your video first, there is no pressure on the drag stack so it's slipping.  Install the rest of the drag components, tighten the star a bit and then try your test again.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bebrown73

Thanks for the help guys!  It is now functioning.  The only thing that seems different with it is when I put it in free spool, it seems like there is more resistance on the spool.   I have not restrung the reel yet and tried it out, but I would think that the spool would back spin more freely.   I did adjust the spring on the side to almost no resistance and it didn't seem to change.   Any thoughts?

Brian

Keta

Do you have a very small amount of side to side spool movement, almost so you can't feel it?
Did you get grease in the pinion gear bore?

Mark Twain

alantani

back off the spool tension knob to zero load (and close to zero freeplay), then clean out and lube the inside of the pinion gear.