Assembling a Tricked Out Surfmaster

Started by mo65, February 23, 2020, 11:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I have stock Surfmaster 100s and love these little reels. I had never hopped up a 100 though, and Ted produced those killer stands, so I started seeing a project unfolding in my head. I've always loved my narrowed Surfy 250, but though it might serve me even better in the smaller 100 size. I headed to fleabay to procure a decent donor, and came across a sweet 150. I don't care so much about the number on the sideplate, this 150 will become my 100.
   Pictured below are the donor reel, Ted's stand(and some longer screws), spool and bars from Pro Challenger, Bryan's 5-stack kit, Cortez Conversions stainless steel gear sleeve, a Mariner 49 drag star and additional dog/springs from Mystic, a 112H handle, and a NOS steel gear. This is going to be a rock solid little reel.

Something I noticed right away was the gear I selected had the shorter slots drilled for the drag washer ears. The green arrows indicate a "regular" length slot(gear on the right) and the shorter slot on the left. Also note the rounded shiny teeth on the used gear(right) compared to the teeth on the NOS gear.(left)

I stacked up the three washers that go below the first eared washer and it looks like it might be close. If the ears get held up by the slots you'll loose drag power.

Just to be safe I bent the ears up slightly on the right washer.

This pic shows how you can add longer screws for Ted's stand, the short screws are the stock items.

As always...grease these screws well...you'll appreciate it if you ever have to take the reel apart later.

I added a few shims under the gear sleeve, circled in blue. The red arrow points to the stock Penn drags I added above the last eared washer in Bryan's kit. Everyone now pretty much knows the Penn HT-100 carbon fiber is spongier than Dawn's Carbontex. Sometimes the user says the Carbontex ramps up to fast. For the past few years I've been replacing the top Carbontex in Bryan's kits with a HT-100 and I do believe it adds a bit more length to the range by slowing ramp up.

Now on to the double dogging. This small Surfmaster plate isn't like the bigger 250 plate. There is nothing cut out from the non-AR dog side...no starting point. I had to make a template to guide me with the dremel.

I cut the "shelf" with a standard cutoff wheel.

I use this type bit to shape everything up. Go slow...you can always take more off...but you can't put it back!

The new dog was just a hair too long for simultaneous engagment so I filed a tad off it. Then I cut the spring slot and shaped a spring.

The spring is contained under the bridge nicely. I've assembled several of these double dog mods, but this one was the most challenging. Maybe because everything is smaller...I'm not sure...but it was challenging.

I magged this guy too. The steel washer(on right) is epoxied to the plate and the magnets just hang onto the washers. I had to grind off a bit of magnet to keep from scraping the spool. These magnets are just a bit large for a Surfmaster, but they do put on the brakes.

The new cage assembled...looks sweet! It's strong, and solid, I can't see this thing twisting.

Testing the fit of the Take-Apart side plate I discovered that the thumb screw hits the new bar. I just filed the end nub off, down to the first thread, that seemed to work fine. Ideally there should be a small "dimple" or hole drilled into the PC bars under the thumb screw.

Slap in the spool and its show time.

It looks like a big reel with all the muscle added, feels smooth too, and it's light. The 112H handle and Mariner 49 star ice the cake. This should be a fun reel. 8)

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

You are a master with a dremel !! Nice trick bending ears up a hair, just in case. Your junk yard dog 150 has come full circle. Where'd you get those longer flat head screws ?? I could use a few....dozen lol
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

festus

Great invention, Mo!  Do you plan on making this a catfish or striper reel? Or maybe saltwater?

vilters

great build and post!!!!! really like that reel, lots of muscle in a small package.

milne

Mo, That's superb mate.
         I so enjoy your "trick up's" and the detailed posts on all the procedures, many of us would have no clue how to go about this,, well I'll only speak for me I suppose. But this is perfect for someone like myself to refer back to and have a go at....
  Brilliant, as always Master Mo !!.

Col

Ruffy

Very schmick Mo! What line and rod are you planning on pairing this with?

Cheers,
Andrew

redsetta

Great work Mo - thanks for sharing.
The photos are sensational.
Cheers mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Donnyboat

Yes Mike x two, great detail, strong reel, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Ron Jones

Alan made me one with a Tib frame, have used it for everything from cod to topwater and it will catch at least one yellowtail at Cedros this year.
Looks beautiful.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Swami805

Very nice reel with guts to match. Thanks for the pics of dog addition, that will be handy
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: festus on February 23, 2020, 11:45:30 PM
Great invention, Mo!  Do you plan on making this a catfish or striper reel? Or maybe saltwater?
Quote from: Ruffy on February 24, 2020, 12:41:58 AM
Very schmick Mo! What line and rod are you planning on pairing this with?

Definitely gonna catfish this one. I'll use 30lb. mono and set the drag at about 10 lbs. Thanks everyone for the compliments. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Very good job on that Surfmasters Joe!
I hear you about the small plates for the double dogs, did one a while back
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11652.msg113025#msg113025

I'm not sure, but I think Dominick might have it.

Keep up the great work!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Crow

Good job, Mo !  Look like a sweet reel !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Porthos

Hey Mo,

Though you have stated 30lb mono for catfish as your primary application, here's an assessment of what your 100 CAN DO...just in case you ever want to move up the reel's performance curve.

With all the internal modifications, the 5-stack and steel 5-60 should allow you to push up to 16+ lbs drag (my 27 with a standard 3-stack and smaller steel 5-155 will do 12lbs as a 40lb offshore setup). With 16+ lbs drag, we're looking at a potential 50 lb reel, but the limitation, IMHO, shifts from the internals to the 29L-100's capacity which I have found to hold about 325yds of 50lb solid braid. This, IMHO, is on the low side for a 50lb offshore setup.

This year I'm going to take on the expense and the gamble to spool up with 50lb hollow core to hopefully get 350+ yds on the 100- and 27- compatible aluminium Newell spool. The Newell has a curved profile going up to the spool lips vs. the more squared profile of the 29L-100; this curvature, I think, along with the flatter lay of the hollow core will afford additional capacity. Even with any increase of main line length, the 27 will still stay as a 40lb setup just because the smaller internals are a few notches lower in strength than what's in your 100.

Best,

Wai

P.S. One of ProChallenger's Jigmaster handle arms with one of Alan's handle grips would be another great upgrade on your 100...