Penn Jigmaster 505 Gears in Jigmaster 500?

Started by CFish, February 24, 2020, 04:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFish

I am looking to speed up a Jigmaster 500 by replacing the stock 4-1 gear set with the 5-1 gear set from a beat up 505 I have laying around.  Are there any issues with just swapping everything out?  Completely compatible?  Any drawbacks to doing this?

Thanks

Bryan Young

The main gear is taller and would not fit in the space without modification. Modification of the main gear may also reduce the number of drag washers that will fit in the main gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

As Bryan mentioned you will need to do some modifications
The top part of the main gear on the 505 will need to be grinded down to the teeth, also the reinforcement ring on the pinion will need to come off and enlarge the slot a little so it could slide on the 500 spool shaft.

There us an easier way: contact ProCgallenger and order the 5:1 gear set and be done with it.
Those will fit nicely on the 500.
You will then get the ultimate drag kit, this'd will come with 5 drag washers instead of 3.
Good luck!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.