Quick 265 Micro Is This Right

Started by Rivverrat, March 01, 2020, 11:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Have an ultralite rod build that is going out with a 265 Microlite from me also.

Originally the line lay on the spool was bottom heavy. Still is just a bit & will occasionally puke a pile of line if tension isnt maintained during retrieve.
Based on pics does it look like the bail is adjusted correctly... Jeff

mo65

Jeff,
   My 265 does this too. I thought it was maybe because I'm using braid on it. I shimmed back the spool...down to one very thin washer behind the spool...nowhere else to go. I thought about shimming the rotor out, but that may affect the bail trip. Maybe Fred has an answer. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Rivverrat

Yup I spoke with Fred earlier abut it. Just wait to see if he has any more suggestions or notices anything in pics... Jeff

foakes

Looks can be deceiving, Jeff --

On tiny spinners, generally an adjustment to the bail assembly, angle lever, trip lever, and replacing the resistex tiny under spool single washer with a thinner washer -- will even out the line lay.

Plus, try it with 4 pound mono, instead of the 8 pound you are showing on that spool.

Using a smooth jawed pair of pliers or a crescent wrench -- very slightly bend the angle lever backwards.

Next, using the same tools -- slightly bend upwards the trip lever.

And replace the under gear washer with a thinner one.

As a last resort, I have been known to deepen the groove where the spool shaft pin rests a few thousands under the ratchet wheel and spool spindle.

Any, or all of these will work -- the most likely culprit is slight tweaking of the bail assembly over the last 60 years.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Thanks Fred !  I bent the trip lever up slightly. I now have 6 lb. line on it I'll test cast tomorrow & go from there.
The pics show reel after making some adjustments to the bail & arm. There was a very noticable improvement but still a slight bottom heavy line lay.

Fred with your help I'm headed in the right direction... Jeff