old squidder bridge/sleeve help?

Started by Darin Crofton, March 05, 2020, 09:50:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darin Crofton

Hello friends, I have an old squidder that has a different bridge post (smaller diameter) and sleeve (see pic) than all the others I've worked on. The sleeve is rounded off and I need a replacement, does anyone know a solution besides stealing a bridge/sleeve out of another one? Thanks, Darin
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

jon_elc

pretty sure you can use one of the Cortez Conversions or Pro Challenger stainless sleeves.  check the star drag for to see if it's course or fine-thread...

I have a course thread and original 10-66 star on my 110, but for my squidder (which also came with the course thread) i got a fine thread sleeve and star....

jon_elc

i used a Pro Challenger sleeve 98-155Pro with a 10-505BS star (both from Mystic Parts) because ProChallenger was out of stock on his aluminum stars.  Looks like they are back in stock -

here's my bridge shaft - it looks like yours

Darin Crofton

I have other 155 sleeves including ss ones, that's not the problem, here is my old squidder bridge post on the right and a newer post on the left. The old one is less diameter so all my other sleeves don't fit right. Wondering if someone has an old sleeve that will fit? Has anyone else ran into this problem? Thanks

jon_elc

mine looks like yours?  But i'm just a noob...  there's lots of guys here who have done a bunch of squidders so i'm sure someone will chime in with real advice!

mhc

I had an old 3-99 bridge and a 3-200 bridge with the narrow posts a while back. A newer bridge with a 'standard width' post might be easier to find than a good condition sleeve with the old narrow post bore. I asked a similar question when I 'discovered' mine a few years ago - apparently you can find narrow posts on a few models https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19995.0

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Darin Crofton

Quote from: mhc on March 06, 2020, 08:13:44 AM
I had an old 3-99 bridge and a 3-200 bridge with the narrow posts a while back. A newer bridge with a 'standard width' post might be easier to find than a good condition sleeve with the old narrow post bore. I asked a similar question when I 'discovered' mine a few years ago - apparently you can find narrow posts on a few models https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19995.0

Mike
Thanks Mike, someone is sending me a regular 200 bridge, but this was the info I was looking for ;)

mo65

Quote from: mhc on March 06, 2020, 08:13:44 AM
I asked a similar question when I 'discovered' mine a few years ago - apparently you can find narrow posts on a few models https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=19995.0

Yes, I've ran into them on Long Beaches, Squidders, Silver Beach 99s, Baymaster 180s, and Beachmaster 155s. It's almost a roll of the dice when opening a vintage Penn.

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

foakes

If you still need one, Darin --

I likely have what you need.

Back home by tomorrow -- returning from a reel parts organization & acquisition trip.  Been gone for 4 days.

Got a lot of organizing and unpacking to do when returning.

Picked up 300 pounds of organized and numbered New Old Stock ABU parts -- and about 600 pounds of organized and numbered NOS Penn parts for conventionals and spinners.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.