Jigmaster 500 pricing

Started by Catching Nemo, March 06, 2020, 05:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catching Nemo

Hi guys,

I may be able to buy a used Penn 500 Jigmaster, and it has a Newell spool and Newell bars.  It has a stock Penn stand, and around 7 out of 10 on cosmetics.

Assuming all of the internal guts work OK, what would you say is a reasonable purchase price for this reel?

Thanks

mike1010

Somebody else might have a better idea, but when trying to establish ballpark market price for a reel I find it helpful to look on eBay for recent selling prices of similar ones.  They can be all over the map, but if you find a few, it is usually easy to identify the outliers.

--Mike

RowdyW

Check out the price of a brand new one at Walmart & it's garranteed.         Rudy

Catching Nemo

Thanks guys. I can usually get a used Jigmaster with run-of-the-mill parts for $20 or $25 or less.

Its the fact that this particular Jigmaster has used Newell bars and a Newell spool, that is causing me some uncertainty.

RowdyW

The later Jigmasters come with chrome plated metal crossbars and the only difference between the Penn and Newell spools is that the Newell spool has ribs on the sides that "may" help marginally when casting. IMO the Newell parts are overated but to some they are a nostalga part.

vilters

i am a fan of the newell spools for penn reels myself. i find them to be noticeably lighter in weight, and as casting is important to me, superior. they also appear to have a smaller arbor diameter, which should increase line capacity. nothing wrong with the penn spools tho.

Gfish

It can be real hit and miss thing if you can't hold it it your hands. The best jiggy I got offa ebay was an early '60's, stock 500M. Only stock parts, free-spool spin forever, perfect function. It had very little use. "Out on a limb" guess would be =\>$50, cause of the Newell parts.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Bill B

I'm probably the wrong person to answer this question, I'm not a big fan of the Jigmaster, to me is just a reel to use as a loaner, but somehow I've got 6 of them 🤔  I agree with Rudy, the Carl Newell stuff for Penns just seem to be nostalgia, but I do like their bars over the Penn.  maybe because their just different. I don't spend more than the $20-$25 you stated. With the Newell parts in your condition I wouldn't pay more then $40, just because you can flip the parts for more and still have the JM guts to play with. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!