D-A-M SL2

Started by festus, March 07, 2020, 10:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Here's my first non-German DAM Quick.  Not sure when these reels were manufactured, probably 1980s.  It's nowhere near the quality of the Finessa series, but I don't have enough $$ invested in it to worry, was only curious.

Not having a schematic, I had no idea what to look for inside.  But I wasn't surprised, it's an loop type oscillator with very simple engineering.

Another common feature on these type of reels is the pinion built into the rotor with a c-type retainer.

A look at the anti-reverse assembly which is one of the reels better features.

Yes, they're very simple reels and remind me of the lower end Daiwas from the same time frame.  Olympics and Ryobi were also similar. I don't know if this drag washer sequence is correct, but it's the same order which I took it apart.

I'll touch on a bit of the reassembly, didn't want to spend much time on this reel.

These reels weigh 15.6 oz, have line capacity of 230 yds of 10 lb mono, 185/12 and 140/15.  It's my guess these reels cost not much more than 12 or 15  bucks off the shelf when they were new unless someone was only paying for the DAM name. I don't really have any complaints, they'll probably do anything a comparable Daiwa or Ryobi from that time frame would do.

happyhooker

You see & hear about this series of reels once in awhile, but this may be one of the first inside looks I've seen.  In any event, quite interesting & another in the long line of nice Festus Fishing Findings.

Frank

Brewcrafter

Nice walk though!  Thanks! - John

foakes

These are actually a decent series of reels.  Sort of a cross between a Daiwa, Ryobi, and an Olympic.  Perhaps a little stronger than a Daiwa.  Better gears.

Someday, I might build a set of these from the New Old Stock parts bins -- there are 6 total - SL0, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. 

There is a slightly later series in black.

If you like the Daiwas from the 70's & 80's -- which are excellent reels -- you will enjoy these as well.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

That pinion/rotor held in by the c-retainer is the line in the sand for me...I don't really know why...but that just makes me grit my teeth. I suppose its because of the sloppy fitment. That design always leaves the rotor teetering around like the nut is loose or something. Interesting note you made about the AR though Chester. It seems odd having that set up amidst all the other "short cuts". Thanks for the walk through. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

festus

Quote from: mo65 on March 08, 2020, 03:07:11 PM
  That pinion/rotor held in by the c-retainer is the line in the sand for me...I don't really know why...but that just makes me grit my teeth. I suppose its because of the sloppy fitment. That design always leaves the rotor teetering around like the nut is loose or something. Interesting note you made about the AR though Chester. It seems odd having that set up amidst all the other "short cuts". Thanks for the walk through. 8)
Actually this one isn't sloppy at all.  Maybe someone added this shim to fix that problem.  This reel reminds me of the Daiwa 1500C which has the same c-retainer but it actually feels better than the Daiwa.  

Silvers

The SL2/SLS2 is the bad one of the series, same like the 1500C from the Daiwa Silver Series.

There was a Corporation with Shimano in 1975 and later, DAM sold the G-Series from Shimano in Germany exclusive and Shimano built the SL/SLS for DAM.
The G-Series was the previous model with only 4 different sizes, comes 1976 at german market.
Most parts are interchangeable with the SL Series.
The SL Series was 1978 released, the SLS Series 1979.
The SLS Series had all internal ball trip except the SLS5

From both Series are export models existing for the us market in black body painting.