Picked Up a Few Quicks

Started by foakes, March 07, 2020, 10:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Picked up a couple dozen Quicks on my 4 day tackle buying trip.

All very decent reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

festus

Good find, Fred!  They all appear to be in good shape, especially those Juniors.

Rivverrat

Dang Fred whats got into you? You even have some N models there... Jeff

Brewcrafter

That is a nice passel of reels!  I'm pretty limited on DAM (love the ones I have from a pretty narrow time period) but what is the reel in the lower left of the photo?  It looks "Where's Waldo" different from the rest of the group. - John

foakes

Quote from: Brewcrafter on March 08, 2020, 04:15:26 AM
That is a nice passel of reels!  I'm pretty limited on DAM (love the ones I have from a pretty narrow time period) but what is the reel in the lower left of the photo?  It looks "Where's Waldo" different from the rest of the group. - John

This is an old original SW 68 Stationare Rolle.  It was the predecessor to the 280 Finessa, 270 Super, 265 Microlite, 240 Junior, 228, 238, and 248.  This is likely an early 50's model -- 1954.

Two opposite wound bail springs, metal spool, German silver hardware, aircraft grade aluminum. 

Simple, strong, effective.

I am building one for Jeff.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

The SW 68 Stationary Drum Reel is & has been for some time, for me, a very unique desirable reel. They are  a little heavy by today's standards but so is the history of design & thinking that was behind their production.

This may mean nothing to some but I've seen places on these reel where at times there was some hand fitting. It was apparent to me this was most likely done by an employee at the factory since the the same type file or tool was used based on the the slight marks left. Today this would be considered an extra step that robbed the bottom line. Today with a a programmable machine that does the work of both the mill & lathe with no multiple set up times & a major reduction in tooling changes. No time spent on an individual reel past turning the handle & placing in a box. The new methods are in a lot of cases better. However something in me laments the old ways.

This reel can be found in great condition today. They also can be one of the pricier Quick models to purchase. If you wish to fish them treat them with the respect they deserve. They might fish 20 -25 line I choose to go no higher than 5 lbs. as max. They will easily produce more. One needs to be careful the reel foot is a soft cast aluminum. You will see them with a bent foot for sale on occasion. Most times this is not an issue that's hard to make right.

If bent, I mount the reel on one of my heavy rods & simply bend it back into place.

Ever have a reel that just makes you feel good when you use it ? The Quick Standard Stationary Drum Reel does this for me... Jeff