Accurate ATD 12- in gear when in freespool

Started by illkeepfishing, November 27, 2011, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illkeepfishing

When I put my brand new Accurate ATD 12 in freespool and turn the handle, the spool turns. Is that normal? Putting the reel in freespool takes it out of gear; so the spool should not turn when I turn the handle, correct?

It doesn't do it when the clicker is on.

I'm waiting for a response from Accurate, but would be interested in hearing what other ATD 12 owners have experienced.  Thanks.  Charles.

alantani

bearings should isolate the spool from the spool shaft.  it is possible that there is too much lateral pressure from the drag pressure plate return springs.  it is more likely that one or both of the spool bearings is rusted.  the latter is the most common cause.  is the spool rough when you spin it in free?  if so, that also indicates a possible fouled spool bearing.  alan

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Jim

5 ATD's all meticulously maintained. 2 do it 3 don't. Accurate is as it's primary business an aerospace manufacturer. Tolerances are very tight, a smidge of oil here, a tiny spot of grease there, and two things that should pass each other without contact in freespool don't quite.
Not an issue, don't worry about it.
I think it's profoundly unlikely that a brand new real has rusted bearings.

alantani

yup, absolutely.  i read "brand new" and it never connected to my brain.  anyway, something is binding up..........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

illkeepfishing

Thanks, guys.  I'm relieved.  Too much grease seems to be the consensus, and what Accurate says as well.