Abu Revo Toro 60

Started by flyforfish21, November 27, 2011, 06:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyforfish21

What are your thoughts on these reels?

Specifically looking for how it will handle throwing 2-10 oz swimbaits in freshwater. Spool size is a plus for line capacity. I personally have not owned or worked on any of abu reels. Drag will more than likely be locked down, as playing around with big bass will result in lost fish.

Anyways, just looking for some feedback on these things. Thanks

Geoff

alantani

the old greenie shimano curados work just as well and are alot easier to service.  not a big fan of these, because of the kick lever problem.  you won't know if you are at risk unless you open it up.  ambassaduer will not even acknowledge the problem.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

flyforfish21

I too am a fan of the older shimano stuff.

How well do the gears hold up to grinding in large swimbaits and fish? Also, i would be concerned that the kick lever would wear down even faster with the heavier resistance on swimbaits at the end of the line.

Other than the kick lever problem, how well would these reels hold up over time?

Thanks Alan, appreciate the response.

Geoff

alantani

honestly, about the same.  pretty much all of these reels use maganese bronze alloys for main gears.  that makes them softer and quieter.  stainless steel gears are hard and noisy from the start.  the alloy gears start out quiet, then the teeth deform over time and get noisy later. 

coastalobsession

The old green curados are like tanks!! It takes alot to destroy one. Once cleaned it can cast a 7/8oz corky 65+ yards.
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

Killerbug

Quote from: flyforfish21 on November 27, 2011, 11:02:38 PM
I too am a fan of the older shimano stuff.

How well do the gears hold up to grinding in large swimbaits and fish? Also, i would be concerned that the kick lever would wear down even faster with the heavier resistance on swimbaits at the end of the line.

Other than the kick lever problem, how well would these reels hold up over time?

Thanks Alan, appreciate the response.

Geoff

The Rovo Toro is a very popular reel over here, and I have serviced nearly all models.

The first kick lever was a failure, and had the Revo been a car had ABU for sure made a recall action.  But the gears are very strong on the Toro, and US Musky guys use them for Doubble 10 and pounders all seson long. The Toro also has a second anti reverse, and very good bearings and drags. 

The Toro's calls for some extra maintenance, but IMO they are more suitable reels for HW baits than the Curado, or even the Calcutta 400.

How these reels will do over time I don't know for sure, but they are fun to fish with.
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

flyforfish21

Quote from: Killerbug on November 28, 2011, 07:33:45 PM

The Rovo Toro is a very popular reel over here, and I have serviced nearly all models.

The first kick lever was a failure, and had the Revo been a car had ABU for sure made a recall action.  But the gears are very strong on the Toro, and US Musky guys use them for Doubble 10 and pounders all seson long. The Toro also has a second anti reverse, and very good bearings and drags. 

The Toro's calls for some extra maintenance, but IMO they are more suitable reels for HW baits than the Curado, or even the Calcutta 400.

How these reels will do over time I don't know for sure, but they are fun to fish with.

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback. Its for another guy asking me about them, personally haven't fished an Abu other than my spinning reels several years ago.

I use the Te's and curado 300DSV for all my swimbaits and haven't had a problem yet, absolutely love the way they perform. I will see what these Toro's are all about.

Does anyone know if the 2012 Toro's have a better suited Kick Lever? or are they still they same "pot" metal typed deal...

Geoff

alantani

they added a stainless steel insert and that took care of the problem. 

Nessie Hunter

I honestly have not fished mt T 60 yet!!!! 
took it on a 2 day and rod tip broke before I got it wet!!!    ::)
(was to be my 15/20# paddy rig)... 

Did loan it to a buddy to throw large swimbaits Just to see how good it was..
He did not want to give it back!!!   
Said it was the absolute best S/B reel he ever used, Felt great to palm, Casted awesome, and felt strong as heck.
he has been a tourney LMB angler for many years... 
He is now looking for one....

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

flyforfish21

Thanks Nessie!

Sounds like another great reel, my biggest concern is the longevity of it. But i have the feeling if they are taken care of, they will last a long time just as any quality reel. Thanks guys

Geoff

Killerbug

Concerning the click ever, ABU has made two revisions of the Toros since it was introduced, and updated the centrifugal brake and updated the click lever. Revision 18 01 and 18 02 is kosher, 18 00 is not. The number is stamped in the reel foot.

A little tip, ABU made a small oil hatch in the frame where you can add gear oil without opening the reel. Be very careful with it, it's made out of plastic and the the treads can easily be overturned(don't know the right English word here???)

flyforfish21

Thanks KillerBug! Appreciate the heads up. I understood completely what you said. Maybe Overtorqued?? Either way, i got it!  :D

Geoff

polsemedbrod

Hi all
ill have the "old" 18 00 can i opgrade the spool(version:1800 itemnr: 1144213)with the spool(version 1802 itemnr:1196577) and  the click lever from 18 02?

Killerbug

The click lever can be upgraded for sure, don't know about the spool. But it properly won't make much difference what type of spool you use.

solsrf1

Hello,
I am experiencing what I believe to be what you are talking about, the line release button sticks in the down position and will not click over after I have let the line out, the handle just spins freely and will not engage to lock the spool?
I have taken the reel apart and serviced it; it works for a while and then acts up again. Is there a replacement part or upgrade that can resolve this issue? While inside, I also noticed a plastic silver arm that looks worn down on one side of the end and it appears to be from the metal gear that it leverages.
While we're on the subject, I have been told to replace the stock drag washers with the carbon fiber type?
Thanks for your feedback.
Mike