113H SS 4:1 gear set sticking

Started by CaptainRMF, March 13, 2020, 03:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainRMF

Quote from: mo65 on March 13, 2020, 07:11:52 PM
  I know this situation too...about the drag tightening thing...been here a few times. What happens there is when that main gear starts to "lock on" to the gear sleeve it no longer gives when it passes a tight spot. It can brush something...the pinion...or the side plate...and translate as roughness. The tips the fellows have given will help. I've found that just spooling the reel by hand, under pressure, really smooths out that stainless. 8)
Good morning MO that sounds logical. Couldn't get my head around the drag thing but your explanation now I understand. Gonna star over again this morning using all these tips and see what happens. Thanks.                       Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 13, 2020, 08:34:23 PM

Make sure the yoke is right side up.

In freespool the yoke can slightly move around, and this is why your noise increases when in freespool. Take yoke and pinion gear together in your hand and make sure it moves freely in the slot
Hey Max didn't know there was a right side up on the yoke will check that this morning. Thanks.               Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: handi2 on March 13, 2020, 09:52:59 PM
You don't have to use the SS yoke. You will have to change it each year. Try it with the stock yoke just to see.

Keith
Hey Keith have the stock yoke and eccentric in now and the noise and rubbing got slightly better. Don't really want to swap out yoke every year so will see if I can fine tune it this morning again. Thanks.                                 Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: oc1 on March 14, 2020, 06:31:41 AM
Is there any lateral play in the sleeve and handle?  What is the under-gear washer like?
-steve
Hey Steve just the normal play on both nothing out of the ordinary. Under gear is new with the HT-100 5 stack. Will start from scratch again this AM.                                                                           Richy
Richy aka CaptainRMF

xjchad

Hang in there Right, you'll get it!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

CaptainRMF

Okay Guys here's the update. 5th time was a charm, Somewhat. LOL. So I took it apart again and used most of the tips given. I filed down the teeth on the pinion on top and below where the yoke sits then a little emery. took out the digital calipers to check the original and SS yokes. SS one was 0.05 mm thicker, don't know if that mattered. Hit it with a little with emery just in case. While it was apart I swapped out the bridge and gear sleeve with a spare set I had that was already together. The reason was I didn't like the play in the handle on the original sleeve, a little rounded. Put in a new clicker tongue and c-clip. Changed the cup bearing on click side, didn't like it. Replaced 2 inside rings that were cracked. Made sure the yoke was right side up. Re-greased everything and put it back together. Wala ! Flipped lever to lock and cranked the handle and noise reduced to normal in gears. Still a little bit louder than brass but 100 % better. Assuming that will go away a bit with use. Flipped the lever to free spool, tightened the drag down, held the spool from spinning and started cranking. Success ! Not completely gone but 90 % better than before. No sticking or jumping felt. With use assume that will go away too. I've learned a lot about SS upgrades on this 3 day build. Not as simple as what I've been used to with brass and steel parts. Want to thank all you Guys for the help and advice, don't think I would have figured it out on my own. If I did it would have taken a lot more BEERS ! :D Thanks again for all the help. Here's a picture of my nightmare.                                                                                                Richy                                 P.S. Sorry about the pictures being sideways don't know what happened. OK on my to Happy Hour. Later
Richy aka CaptainRMF

Alto Mare

Good job!
Your next one will be much easier and the one after that you could do in darkness🙂.

I'm glad you got it worked out.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Good work Richy, you now know 6/0s inside out, and because of your post, many new members have learnt a lot as well, that reel, will last a life time & more, well done, now we want to see some photos, that you catch with it, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

xjchad

Awesome Richy!
Glad you got it ironed out!

Maxed Out

Great job Richie. However I would recommend you need to take it back apart once more and remove all that grease from the spool shaft and inside the pinion.  That grease gets inside the pinion and messes with freespool, and can also prevent pinion from sliding freely up and down the shaft. The grease should only go on the keyed part where pinion locks onto the spool shaft. The shaft itself should be lubed with very light thin oil. This will make a huge difference in amount of freespool. The grease on the spool shaft is what's causing the spool to turn when cranking handle while in freespool. Remove that grease and you'll totally eliminate that issue

My apologies for not mentioning this earlier, but I had just noticed lots of grease on the spool shaft in your last post
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Rivverrat

Always good to see some one stick around long enough that they get the reel right... Jeff

xjchad

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 14, 2020, 11:33:44 PM
Great job Richie. However I would recommend you need to take it back apart once more and remove all that grease from the spool shaft and inside the pinion.  That grease gets inside the pinion and messes with freespool, and can also prevent pinion from sliding freely up and down the shaft. The grease should only go on the keyed part where pinion locks onto the spool shaft. The shaft itself should be lubed with very light thin oil. This will make a huge difference in amount of freespool. The grease on the spool shaft is what's causing the spool to turn when cranking handle while in freespool. Remove that grease and you'll totally eliminate that issue

My apologies for not mentioning this earlier, but I had just noticed lots of grease on the spool shaft in your last post

Good call Ted!  I didn't notice that, but grease on the spool shaft will create a lot of drag and hurt the free spool.
Better to use a good light oil there.

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 14, 2020, 08:58:16 PM
Good job!
Your next one will be much easier and the one after that you could do in darkness🙂.

I’m glad you got it worked out.

Sal
Thanks Sal. Couldn't have done it without all the help from this great site.
Quote from: Donnyboat on March 14, 2020, 11:16:53 PM
Good work Richy, you now know 6/0s inside out, and because of your post, many new members have learnt a lot as well, that reel, will last a life time & more, well done, now we want to see some photos, that you catch with it, good luck cheers Don.
Thanks Don. I know the reel looks big in picture but it's a 4/0 113H. All the same inside though. That's how I learned by reading other people's posts. Hope it helps someone else too. Cheers.
Quote from: xjchad on March 14, 2020, 11:24:09 PM
Awesome Richy!
Glad you got it ironed out!
Hey Chad me too. Thanks to this site anything is possible.  ;D
Richy aka CaptainRMF

CaptainRMF

Quote from: Maxed Out on March 14, 2020, 11:33:44 PM
Great job Richie. However I would recommend you need to take it back apart once more and remove all that grease from the spool shaft and inside the pinion.  That grease gets inside the pinion and messes with freespool, and can also prevent pinion from sliding freely up and down the shaft. The grease should only go on the keyed part where pinion locks onto the spool shaft. The shaft itself should be lubed with very light thin oil. This will make a huge difference in amount of freespool. The grease on the spool shaft is what's causing the spool to turn when cranking handle while in freespool. Remove that grease and you'll totally eliminate that issue

Hey Ted that was an earlier picture. I did clean it up a little more before putting it back together. Up here in Raritan Bay, NJ we mostly use the grease instead of just oil because mostly worry about Saltwater intrusion rather than 90 seconds of free spool. These 4/0's and 6/0's are mainly for trolling Striped Bass and Bluefish purposes. Not a lot of casting or free spooling bait with these reels. I do understand what you're saying about the spool turning while cranking though. Also want to thank you for the heads up about the yoke. I actually did have it upside down with the sharp edge up. Might have been one of those Beers I had Cornfused me !  ;)
Quote from: Rivverrat on March 15, 2020, 01:04:59 AM
  Always good to see some one stick around long enough that they get the reel right... Jeff
Hey Jeff it's just the way I am. Once I start a project I can't quit till it's done and done right especially when it's someone elses reel. Could be my OCD kicking in.  ;D Also this site will not let you quit until it's finished correctly, that's why I love this site.
Richy aka CaptainRMF