stuck bearing in 5001

Started by basto, March 23, 2020, 10:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi guys
have a stuck bearing in a 5001 and wondering if acetone is ok to soak it in or would vinegar be better?
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Greg
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

foakes

Hi Greg --

If the bearing is stuck in the frame housing -- acetone will take off the paint -- or at least dull it down.

If the bearing is out of the housing -- and stuck on the worm pinion -- acetone is fine to use.

If the bearing is rusted to the worm pinion -- a soak in acetone, lacquer thinner, or Kroil overnight will loosen it enough to use a block of wood with a hole drilled in it -- then a nylon faced hammer to pound the worm pinion down & out.

If the bearing is stuck in the housing -- I generally drop a little Kroil penetrating oil around the bearing for an hour or two -- then re-attach the hex nut to the top of the pinion -- and using a crescent wrench and a small block of wood for a lever & fulcrum -- just ease it out.

If you need parts -- let me know.  I still have stuff to send you (drag knobs) -- and am waiting to see how the Post Office is handling outgoing packages.  I sent some parts to Donny last Monday -- just before everything closed up here in California.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

basto

Thanks Fred. I will give that my best shot.
Greg

basto

Worked like a charm Fred. Came off nicely. I had it soaking in mineral turpentine overnight.
Thanks mate.
Greg

basto

I got it all back together and was surprised to find the drag in the 5001 is the same size as my  3001 reels. It is claimed the 5001 will pull 40 lbs of drag, so what will the 3001 pull? hmmmmm.
The 5001 looks rough on the outside but has a lot of life left on the inside. I will give it a coat of paint too.

The carbontex washer I made for my first 3001 will go on the top of the 5001 spool.
The 5001 has a white "plastic" washer on top and a cork washer under spool.
I now run the original asbestos washers in my 3001 reels.

They are a pleasure to work on.
Greg

foakes

Those '01's are really tough and capable reels, Greg --

They don't get much better -- And they don't know how to step back.

Excellent work!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Thanks for the info on the drags Greg. I don't have any '01 models but I'm catfishing a 3000 modded with a 3-stack of carbon fiber and it's a beast. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

basto

Sounds very nice Mo. I bought the 5001 off Ebay and the seller lives about 5 kms from me.
Greg

Ruffy

Photos of the beast or it never existed Greg  ;D

Cheers,
Andrew

basto

I forgot to mention. The bearing size for the 5001 is...OD: 24MM..ID: 9MM..Width..7mm

Just discovered the bearing size is the same for a 550

basto

Some pics of arrival condition

and finished

cheers
Greg

foakes

Nice job, Greg --

Doesn't even look like the same reel!

You do good work -- now put that reel to work.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

basto

Thanks Fred. I am learning all the time....and mostly from you.
Greg

Midway Tommy

Great transformation, Greg!  8)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

mo65

Top notch work indeed...two thumbs up! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~