help with penn 114h

Started by jg125, November 29, 2011, 02:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jg125

got a old penn 114h with black plates took reel apart to clean and grease and oil found the pinion gear missing some teeth main gear looked pretty good replaced pinion gear replaced drag washers put reel back together every seems to work right but I notice a slight grinding noise as I reel free spool seems ok I dont know is this normal for these old reels I have many penn 6 0s but they are newer style and very smooth I would appreciate any help thanks

akfish

You need to replace the main gear whenever you replace the pinion gear because the two gears wear to each other. In this case, the broken teeth on the pinion almost certainly did damage to the main gear. And while I'm here: Are you sure it's a 114H, not a 114? Very few black 114Hs were made; almost all were maroon or red.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

anytime you replace one gear, you have to replace the other. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jg125

jg125

Quote from: akfish on November 29, 2011, 05:36:08 PM
You need to replace the main gear whenever you replace the pinion gear because the two gears wear to each other. In this case, the broken teeth on the pinion almost certainly did damage to the main gear. And while I'm here: Are you sure it's a 114H, not a 114? Very few black 114Hs were made; almost all were maroon or red.
Yes I am sure when I ordered parts from scott bait they asked me the same thing I guess I got one of the few thanks for your help

jg125

here is the reel and I repaced the main gear and it is smooth the only other problem is some slop in the gear sleeve it moves slightley in and out while reeling handle I put every thing back as it shows in drawing I would appreciate any help thanks

Keta

Quote from: jg125 on December 05, 2011, 03:12:23 PM
the only other problem is some slop in the gear sleeve it moves slightley in and out while reeling handle

A little bit of thrust is necessary but if it is too much I've put a shim washer under the gear sleeve.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Norcal Pescador

Wow, you do have a rare one! Dom, "Broadway" has one also, the only other one I've ever seen. Anyway, make a shim washer from a beer/soda can and put it under the gear sleeve. That should work..

Keta, you beat me to it. ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

jg125