Penn 114H second AR dog

Started by Alto Mare, November 29, 2011, 10:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

misanthrope

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 16, 2012, 06:31:36 AM
Very nice work.  I wonder if you can mount the spring under the dog...Hmm

That is another project with my other 114H. I need to get more springs and I will need to finish recessing the area around the pawl post to set a spring so I can see if I can get enough deflection in the spring, not quite sure where to put the bent leg yet since the springs will be flipped but it should be less work than doing it the way I did it.

My concern with the spring on top of the pawl is that its steel moving between a brass sandwich.

-Will
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth it brings.
-Unknown

Bryan Young

I wonder is drilling into the dog to put in a small spring would work, like the squidders?  Will, your inventiveness is going to drive me crazy and I need to sleep.   ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

George4741

Will, your dog spring mod is very similar to the Baja Special.
viurem lliures o morirem

misanthrope

Quote from: George4741 on August 17, 2012, 01:44:47 AM
Will, your dog spring mod is very similar to the Baja Special.

George, EVERY coil spring mod will be similar to a degree due to the nature of it being a coil spring and coil springs are designed to work in only 1 way, so in that aspect, EVERY reel that uses a coil spring is very similar:)

-Will
Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth it brings.
-Unknown

Fishit 2

Those custom dog springs look great, I'm trying to put my Squidder sideplate back on but I just cannot get that small spring to stay put. Do any of you guys sell them? I wonder if the Penn factory in Philly would have a few I can buy? Do they do custom parts as well? Will I run into any problems not using the spring at all?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

redsetta

G'day Fishit,
They're available from MysticParts (0.70c), here: hhttps://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/14C-140.aspx
Gotta have the spring in there...
It's a bit fiddly, but you'll get there eventually.
Have a look at Alan's 113H tutorial here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=208.0
Shots 17-20 in particular...

Good luck, Justin

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Harry

Put a dab of grease on that squidder spring and you might find it easier to install and harder to lose Fishit.

Fishit 2

Thanks for the tips guys, I think I was trying to put the spring in the wrong way after looking at that pic - but I have the dog with the small hole on it where the spring seats in, not sure I can get it in on that angle.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

Cone

Quote from: Bryan Young on August 16, 2012, 06:31:36 AM
Very nice work.  I wonder if you can mount the spring under the dog...Hmm
I just double dogged one of my 114h's. I put the spring under the dog. Works great. I'll try and take some pic's tomorrow and figure out how to post em. I made the spring from #11 ss fishing leader wire. Just waiting for some of Keta's dogs to swap the brass ones with.   Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

Very nice Bob, post some shots when you get it done.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Sal i wanted to but I didn't take any today. I'll have to take it back apart again and take some but nothing went right today and I was just happy to get it together. I could have used you today. It would have been a snap for you.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Alto Mare

Don't give up Bob, it get easier as you move along.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

I'm not giving up. Sal. Let me see if I can post some pics.

This is the dog and spring

This is a shot of the dog in place. I broke this piece of plastic when I cut the pocket.

This is the pocket for the dog and spring

This is the dogs in place with the bridge removed. The dog is cocked in the pic and the angle of the end of the dog matches when its straight.

George4741

Nice job, Bob.  The 113H and 114H tank projects are slowly evolving.
viurem lliures o morirem