Penn 114H second AR dog

Started by Alto Mare, November 29, 2011, 10:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

The second dog needs to be a 115 dog and I know where there is some in SS.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Let me know how much Lee. I'll take a couple.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Same price, they will be in the mail tomorrow.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

I'll include it in the check I'm sending tomorrow. Thanks Lee
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Cone

Maybe I'm confused or is that Conefused?   ???   It seems to me instead of a dog for a 115 a shorter dog is needed on this reel. Maybe one for a 113h. Heres what I mean.

This is a 114h dog and a 115 see how the teeth on the sleeve is in the way.

This is a 114 dog and a 115 dog in the other configuration the teeth still are in the way.

This is two 114 dogs one I filed down shorter.

Any thoughts or input is appreciated.  Bob

Alto Mare

Bob, I believe you did very well, you can also fine tune the longer dog if you wanted to, just to give it a bettewr angle,  but it should do just fine as is. You just built  yourself a killer reel, nice going ;).

I want to mention that on the 4/0 you don't need to do anything, the dogs engage nicely at the same time. On the 9/0, you'll need to use one for the 6/0 and one for the 9/0, this will make them engage nicely at the same time.
Very good job Bob, you're making me look bad ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Thanks Sal, that means a lot coming from you. I'll never be able to mke you look bad. It's because of you we're doing these mods. I've got a frame coming from Reelygone and I just got a ss yoke frome Dawn. A power handle will be next. Thanks again. Bob

Alto Mare

Bob, I just noticed that you didn't cut the slot for the new dog, take a look at this picture it should show you what I mean. If you leave it as you have it the dog spring will not wor as it should. This is the easy part, you already did the hard part. Here is the picture:

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Thanks for pointing that out, Sal. I made a spring out of #11 ss leader. It doesnt need a slot. One side of the spring lays against the side of the cutout and the other side catches the dog. Just call me lazy, less work with the dremel. Bob

Alto Mare

Very clever Bob, are you able to show a picture of that spring?

Cone

You can see the end in this pic.

I had already posted this pic. You can see the spring. Ghetto, I know.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 30, 2012, 10:05:12 PM

Sal, your photo gives the illusion that it is a black side plate.  What color is it? 
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

George, I believe you had too much to dring with dinner ;D.
No, you're right! I used a 9/0 plate to show it bigger.  Nothing gets by you  ;)

I see it Bob, Thanks!

Bob, check your pm.

Keta

Quote from: Cone on September 30, 2012, 08:47:43 PM
Maybe I'm confused or is that Conefused?   

We all get there at times.  A longer dog gives you a better angle, I prefer mine at closer to slightly less than 90°.

Mark Twain

Cone

I already posted this I thought but I guess its lost in cyber space. I recieved my frame and put it together this morning. I'll fish it a while and see hoe it does and then maybe change the dogs. The spool had a few pits that I filled with JB weld. I'll have to sand them better then I'mm gonna coat it with Guncoat and bake it. Heres some pics.