Microlite Rebuild Question

Started by Balvar24, April 05, 2020, 07:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balvar24

When I'm done, how quiet should these be?  Everything turns free and smooth, but I hear a little bit of a "ssssssss."   Needs more grease?  Oil?  It has to be one of two places.  Either the oil lite bearing or between the main gear and the housing.

Thanks.

Midway Tommy

It probably just needs a little use. Most all of the 50/60/70 era reels make a little noise after a total break down and service. It takes a little time for the new lubes to create a film and gears to mess well.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

Quote from: Balvar24 on April 05, 2020, 07:33:22 PM
When I'm done, how quiet should these be?  Everything turns free and smooth, but I hear a little bit of a "ssssssss."   Needs more grease?  Oil?  It has to be one of two places.  Either the oil lite bearing or between the main gear and the housing.

Thanks.

It could be the oilite bushing bearings.

Most folks do not know that these are replaceable.  (2) are required.

There is also a tiny clear plastic spacer washer on the crank side under the main gear.  Sometimes I install this spacer -- sometimes I leave it off -- depends on the operation when buttoning up the build.

The spool should be eliminated as a possible culprit by removing it and cranking the reel.

There is also the possibility of a bad main bearing -- but this is more of a hollow, rough sound and feel -- not the SSSSSS you describe.

And, of course, the bushings need to be smoothed and polished inside before assembly.  I am able to accomplish this quickly with "0000" steel wool wrapped around a drill bit in just a few seconds.  Clean again and reassemble.

Generally, the bushings just need a clean up with this easy method -- proper synthetic oil -- and you are good to go.

If there is a sound now -- my experience is that it will not go away on its own until another decade of constant use has been applied.  For me, that doesn't cut it for a reel I am going to fish and not just set on a shelf.

Got to be right -- at least for me when these reels come off the bench.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Balvar24

The clear spacer was there.  I turned everything as I re-assembled.  I soaked the main bearing in oil and it's smooth.  I'm thinking the noise is between the main gear and the housing.  It's not a "rough" or grit.  It really just sounds like interference between two smooth surfaces.  I smeared a little grease at this interface.  Perhaps, I should have hit it with oil and let it go.  And, don't misunderstand.  It's quiet.  It's just not silent.  It's smoother and quieter than a Mitchell 308 or 408 all day long and twice on Sunday.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on April 05, 2020, 08:49:37 PM
Quote from: Balvar24 on April 05, 2020, 07:33:22 PM
When I'm done, how quiet should these be?  Everything turns free and smooth, but I hear a little bit of a "ssssssss."   Needs more grease?  Oil?  It has to be one of two places.  Either the oil lite bearing or between the main gear and the housing.

Thanks.

If there is a sound now -- my experience is that it will not go away on its own until another decade of constant use has been applied.  For me, that doesn't cut it for a reel I am going to fish and not just set on a shelf.

Got to be right -- at least for me when these reels come off the bench.

Best,

Fred

HA! Easy to say for the guy that has 100,000 new parts laying around to play with.  :o  Some of us just have to make do with what we have available.  ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)