Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Makule, from looking at the schematics I would say that besides the size, the 113MTL is significantly different from the 113H.
I can't tell you why it was so unpopular, simply because I have never used one or opened one up, but I believe that Alan has. Come to think of it I don't think that there is a reel that Alan hasn't opened up yet ;D.
About the 113h and hlw, yes to me it is worth modifying. I personally believe that the 113H is still one of the best reel in its class, with over 50 years of good service to prove it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

QuoteI personally believe that the 113H is still one of the best reel in its class, with over 50 years of good service to prove it...
x2.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

Quote from: redsetta on February 12, 2012, 10:31:38 PM
QuoteI personally believe that the 113H is still one of the best reel in its class, with over 50 years of good service to prove it...
x2.
Cheers, Justin

Ok, two votes for the 113H.  Tell me where I can get the SS gears.

What about the 113HLW?  What's the difference between it and the 113H?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

broadway

Mak,
    X3 on Penn being one of the best in it's class! Get on ebay and prepare to pay the piper (about $100). Accurates are best, but Newell's are good, too.  Don't forget the stainless yoke with that!
The 113hlw only differs from the 113h in spool size for more line capacity... other than that it's the same reel.
Dom

alantani

Quote from: Makule on February 12, 2012, 07:51:17 PM
Quote from: alantani on February 12, 2012, 05:27:45 AM
another great reel that was a total flop here on the west coast of the united states. 

Why was it a "flop"?

it was ugly, and younger fishermen want lever drag bling.  only us old guys are ok with "old school."
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

A bit of info about the 113MTL here, if you're interested: http://www.fishingunited.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4008
I agree - not the best-looking reel on the market...
Cheers, Justin

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Makule on February 12, 2012, 11:40:47 PM
Quote from: redsetta on February 12, 2012, 10:31:38 PM
x2.
Cheers, Justin

Ok, two votes for the 113H ......

Make that 3 votes. ;)

Quote from: alantani on February 13, 2012, 12:05:49 AM
....... only us old guys are ok with "old school."

I'm okay with that. ;D ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

I'm glad you stepped in Rob, for a moment I thought Alan was talking about me ;D ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

all of us!!!!  if you're 20-something, you're going to look at that reel and think that it's something your grandpa would fish with.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

In a few years they'll probably be marketing reels made by nano-bots from 100% unobtainium, producing 100lbs of drag, holding 1000m of some exotic polymer and all in a package the size of a cotton spool. ;)
And I'll still be fishing a Penn or Pro Gear... ;D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: redsetta on February 13, 2012, 01:30:53 AM

....... all in a package the size of a cotton spool. ;)  ..........

And I'll have a Kolekar 6/0 grip on it. :D :D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

broadway

Hey Rob,

You weren't x3, you were x4... I beat you to it, but I am closer to 20 something, so I understand ;) ;D
Dom

Makule

....and several years from now, all fishing will be virtual.

Quote from: redsetta on February 13, 2012, 01:30:53 AM
In a few years they'll probably be marketing reels made by nano-bots from 100% unobtainium, producing 100lbs of drag, holding 1000m of some exotic polymer and all in a package the size of a cotton spool. ;)
And I'll still be fishing a Penn or Pro Gear... ;D
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Squirmypug

Quote from: alantani on February 13, 2012, 12:53:49 AM
all of us!!!!  if you're 20-something, you're going to look at that reel and think that it's something your grandpa would fish with.   :-\
What is wrong with being 20 something? I'm 21 and would be happy to use that reel  ;D
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

Makule

Apparently, Penn still sells SS replacement main and pinion gears for the 113MTL.  Will those fit in the
113H?