Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Lee, the dogs just arrived. Excellent craftsmanship, they're perfect. Thank you! Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

Sal, it might be listed somewhere that I missed (or forgot), but could you please list all of the modifications you've made thus far?  Also, what other mods are you considering, and what do you think could possibly be done to make the reel any better?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Alto Mare

Albert, you're giving too much credit. I'm just a guy doing a little tweaking here and there, no genius here. As for making this reel better, I believe that what we've done here is pretty much it. You could add aluminum plates, but the stock plates should do just fine. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

Just to get it all in one place - and Sal, please revise if I miss anything - here are Sal's 'Tank' upgrades to date:

• Narrow frame and spool (Tiburon #T4NK)
  • Alloy handle and S/S arm upgrade (Kolekar, Tiburon etc - lots of options)
  • S/S gear sleeve (Alan Tani)
  • S/S high-speed 4:1 gears (either Newell or Accurate)
  • 1 x HT-100 under main gear (#6-113)
  • 5 x HT-100 in drag stack (#6-320)
  • S/S pinion yoke (Smooth Drag)
  • Double dog upgrade via rotary tool
  • S/S dogs

Hope that's of some assistance.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

BMITCH

OK,OK! This has created another reel upgrade THAT MUST BE DONE. Just when you thought you were through with them, they pull you back in. PLEASE,PLEASE,PRETTY PLEASE, make the dogs available. If they are how can I get my hands on a few.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

BMITCH

Justin, Smooth drag offer's a SS yoke? Do I need to contact Dawn? I didn't see it on their site? Or maybe I just missed it?

Bob

redsetta

G'day Bob,
Yeah, about halfway down this page: http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html
QuoteStainless Steel Yoke
500 Penn 1 ......................... $4.00
#113H Penn 1 ....................... $4.00
#114H 1 ............................... $4.50
Email Dawn: info@smoothdrag.com
It's a great little upgrade...
Cheers, Justin

BMITCH

Justin,
Thanks so much for getting that for me. As luck would have it I'm going to need several of each. I'd better get to work!!!

Thanks, Bob

Keta

It looks like I get to give Dawn some more $.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Like I said, just when you thought you were done....you get pulled back in!!!
it's all good!

alantani

that's one of the tough things about the penn reels.  the possible upgrades are endless.......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

Only because of guys like Sal. I get on the PB to go tuna fishing and you see mostly gold reels. Then here I come with these super mod. Penn's and I do get some strange looks. The satisfaction comes when the plan works. Keep them coming Sal.

Makule

Here's a question for Alan:  Do you believe that Sal's "113H Tank" can hold up to being used at 25 lb. drag?  What about higher?
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

redsetta

G'day Makule,
I realise you asked the question of Alan, but I also built a tank like Sal's, with all the same upgrades, and the highest I've registered on a scale is 35lbs - with the star fully buttoned down.
I wouldn't fish it at this level, however - it was just a test of maximum capacity.
While it's yet to be pushed to the limit, the testing I've done indicates it'll happily pull a smooth 25lbs all day, with a little more to play with if the need arises.
Hope that helps.
Cheers, Justin