Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makule

Thanks to everyone.  It's working as it should now.  Turns out the stack was not properly sequenced.  Embarrassing amateur mistake, but one that got address with a little thought (sometimes it pays to think a bit).  The reel pulls just about 30 lbs straight out, pretty much maxed out.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

day0ne

My attempt. Haven't done the second dog yet, but it has ss sleeve, ss yoke, some sort of steel gears, Tib frame and Jvariance plates. I kept the 3.25 gears because I plan on using this for deep droping, amberjack (80-100 lb yellowtails for you west coast guys) and big grouper.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Makule

Some truly beautiful reels on this Forum, and many don't just have the bling, they also have the beef.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Bryan Young

Bling, Bling.  What is that reel in the center of the 3 on the top of the picture?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Update on the gears:  The machinist said his source could/would not cut it.  Too small.  Will try some other sources.

Anyone got connections in Taiwan (not China) or Korea?  They can make high quality stuff with good materials, at reasonable prices.

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 10, 2012, 01:14:56 AM
Bling, Bling.  What is that reel in the center of the 3 on the top of the picture?

X2

Nice work. 

Where do you fish for reef donkeys out of?   There are AJs in Baja but I think there is some differances from the ones I saw in the GOM.  Tellowtail is a diferent jack.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

day0ne

Quote from: Keta on March 10, 2012, 02:49:23 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on March 10, 2012, 01:14:56 AM

X2

Nice work. 

Where do you fish for reef donkeys out of?   There are AJs in Baja but I think there is some differances from the ones I saw in the GOM.  Tellowtail is a diferent jack.

Galveston, Freeport, and Port A. Mostly rig fishing for AJ's. I know that yellowtail and AJ's  are different (1st cousins?) but that was the best way I knew to describe what I was fishing for for the left Coasters.

The reel in the center top of the picture is a Tom Hyrniuk conversion of a Jigmaster I bought on ebay. See here for a similar conversion of a Squidder: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=184.0 The one on the left is a 506 with an Accurate frame and the one on the right is a Charter Special with a topless frame I got from Alan. Just part of the collection.
David

Keta

Thanks for the info on the reel, can you post better photos of it? 

We pulled a boat from Oregon and spent a month camped in the parking area in Venice, LA the year after Katrina and had a blast fishing the rigs and Midnight Lump.

http://www.reellouisianaadventures.com/details.php?id=410 

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

redsetta

Great story Lee - cheers for the link.
The photo gallery is epic.

That's a cracker selection of reels dayOne - the Hyrniuk Jigmaster is a beauty.
x2 on the request for more pics! ;)
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Makule

Got the goody bag from Alan today so my reels are ready to get "Tanked".

The first order of business will be to change the brake disks to carbontex with Cal's grease;
Second will be to clean the BB and then lube with TSI301;
Third, (hopefully) will be to install SS double dogs (Lee, I could use 6 more whenever they are ready).

Aftermarket frames.  Do they increase, decrease, or keep the overall weight the same?

Aftermarket handles.  I like the aluminum ones because they are very light, but does anyone know whether they will stand up to hard cranking and not have the mounting hole distort?

Been wondering about whether I need the SS gear sleeve.  If the handle is stainless, then the sleeve will be stainless.

SS yoke.  Definitely, even if I may not have SS gears (don't know what's inside yet).

One small change I'll also make is to change those straight slot screws to either phillips or hex wrench 8-32.  Those straight slot screws drive me nuts.  The hex wrench type are great even though  they stick out.

Did I forget something?

Sal made me do it.

Bryan Young

Aloha Bradah Makule,

Frames - the answer is it depends on the reel you have and what's on it.  My 6/0 reels have Penn's aluminum frame, so switching to an Accurate frame is actually a little lighter.  It is better to resist twisting at higher drag levels.

Handles - Aluminum will do fine.

Arms - Alumimum is fine, but Brass or Stainless is much better esp. at higher drag ranges.  I'm worked on many reels with aluminum handles that are bent.  And, we've had to peen the hole to make it tighter on the gear sleeve.  You will not have the same effect with Stainless as a whole.

Screws, if you are changing, I would recommend torx instead of hex.  I've also had issues with the stainless screws being made of softer stainless rounding easier than phillips heads even though the wrench fits perfectly without any wiggle.  never a problem with Torx.

Have fun with the conversion.

Awe, crap, I forgot to send my Pro Gear home to see if my buddy would machine my Pro Gear 441 so that I can put in double dogs...and I'm already at the airport for my back to back trip.  Arg!
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Makule

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 11, 2012, 07:08:00 AM
Aloha Bradah Makule,

Frames - the answer is it depends on the reel you have and what's on it.  My 6/0 reels have Penn's aluminum frame, so switching to an Accurate frame is actually a little lighter.  It is better to resist twisting at higher drag levels.

Handles - Aluminum will do fine.

Arms - Alumimum is fine, but Brass or Stainless is much better esp. at higher drag ranges.  I'm worked on many reels with aluminum handles that are bent.  And, we've had to peen the hole to make it tighter on the gear sleeve.  You will not have the same effect with Stainless as a whole.

Screws, if you are changing, I would recommend torx instead of hex.  I've also had issues with the stainless screws being made of softer stainless rounding easier than phillips heads even though the wrench fits perfectly without any wiggle.  never a problem with Torx.

Have fun with the conversion.

Awe, crap, I forgot to send my Pro Gear home to see if my buddy would machine my Pro Gear 441 so that I can put in double dogs...and I'm already at the airport for my back to back trip.  Arg!

The reels are 113HLW. 

I'm supposed to be hearing from Jvariance about the availability of frames for the HLW). 

Will try aluminum arms/handles first to see if they are strong enough for my use. 

Add torx screws (couldn't find the SS torx at the local hardware store).

day0ne

Try this guy for S.S.handles, He has an assortment to fit the 113h series of reels. I like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-C-M-HANDLE-FIT-PENN-REEL-SENATOR-113H-4-0-113HL-113HLW-113HSP-349-H-/120854370481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c237b58b1

Aluminum is OK and I have an assorment of reels with aluminum handles, but for heavy cranking, S>S> or brass is superior. Even the Penn 24-349H is a good handle. Go here for the various Penn handles that fit a 113h:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Handles/TypeB.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
David

day0ne

Quote from: redsetta on March 10, 2012, 11:38:55 PM
That's a cracker selection of reels dayOne - the Hyrniuk Jigmaster is a beauty.
x2 on the request for more pics! ;)
All the best, Justin

They moved my pictures to their own thread It's here:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3793.0
David

Makule

Quote from: day0ne on March 11, 2012, 08:24:51 AM
Try this guy for S.S.handles, He has an assortment to fit the 113h series of reels. I like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-C-M-HANDLE-FIT-PENN-REEL-SENATOR-113H-4-0-113HL-113HLW-113HSP-349-H-/120854370481?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c237b58b1

Aluminum is OK and I have an assorment of reels with aluminum handles, but for heavy cranking, S>S> or brass is superior. Even the Penn 24-349H is a good handle. Go here for the various Penn handles that fit a 113h:

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Handles/TypeB.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Yes, Sal suggested I check with that seller.