Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Thanks for the additional guidance Albert.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

Quote from: Makule on July 09, 2012, 06:46:57 AM
The very thin CF washers used to put together the 1+7 set is a bit tricky since the slots in the main gear don't go all the way down.  As mentioned elsewhere, I've addressed this by grinding the slots deeper so that they go all the way down the bored section. 

I don't have a problem with the slots being deep enough in the stock Penn bronze gear.  I wouldn't want to push it very hard, either, for fear it will shred. :o

This is good stuff, though.  We run into a problem and someone comes up with a fix.
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

Way to go Albert, a nice way to solve that problem. BTW they're not my gears that you just messed up ;D.
Keep them coming buddy.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 09, 2012, 04:30:39 PM
Way to go Albert, a nice way to solve that problem. BTW they're not my gears that you just messed up ;D.
Keep them coming buddy.

As you can see from the pitting, the gear is from an old set.  Since this was a practice run, I'm now doing all of the others, including for the 6/0 and 349.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Norcal Pescador

Finally "Tanked" my first reel. It already had a s/s gear sleeve so I double-dogged it with s/s dogs (thanks, Lee :)). The reel, a 113HL has an ambidextrous handle-side side-plate so I used a 114H flat spring. Now I just need to test it on the water. ;D

Thanks, Sal. It was easier than I thought. :)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

redsetta

Nice work Rob - will look forward to hearing how it performs. ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Way to go Rob, I'm glad that you finally got to it ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

from steve carson!

Quote from: tunanorth;2849795Ha-ha, "Tanks" are cool reels! [essentially a double-dog YTS w/all stainless internals]
Huge amounts of "personality", and when you have one, it's "yours".
However, they take a bunch of work, require good online detective/acquisition skills for semi-custom parts, and everything together usually costs substantially more than a Baja Special.
For do-it-yourselfers, they are a great offseason project, but for folks who just want to head out and fish, it can be a bit too much effort.
Also, a Tank does not have the "disconnecting pinion", so for castability, [and fishing techniques that need it], the Baja Special also has an edge.
I'm guessing there are not more than a few dozen Tanks in use worldwide, so its a pretty unique item.

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

you realize, of course, that this means that "the tank" is now officially recognized by penn.  sal, congratulations!   :o ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Well done Sal and well earned - both for the recognition and the 22-page thread ;) ;D
Congrats mate, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

You know the 4/0 was never in the picture, when I did this it was on the 6/0. I believe that Dom asked if it could be done on other Senators.
I wasn't aware who Steve Carson was, I've been reading a lot about him lately.
Penn is lucky to have him.
Sal

Irish Jigger

Well done Sal, or should it be Sal Henze? ;)

saltydog

Yes well done now my wife is asking why I need to go to the parts shop to work on my reels again.At least she understands and even went with me.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

George4741

I think this recognition is great.  Sal should be rightly proud.
viurem lliures o morirem

broadway

X2 on what George said!

Since you've been on here you've had some great ideas, advice, and been more than generous and helpful to us regulars and newbies alike.  Steve must be good at what he does to find out about the "tanks", and you must be good at what you do to catch his attention.
Well done Sal,
Dom