Penn 113h Reel/Tank

Started by Alto Mare, December 02, 2011, 02:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 29, 2012, 06:27:27 PM
Is there anyone out there that has a Baja Special handle bearing (part #55B) and a pair of calipers that could tell us the dimensions? It would be nice to know if the ID is the same as the diameter of a 113H gear sleeve so that we could easily use those parts after modifying the side plate, though I would probably send the bearing to a machinist as well to be sure it was a perfect fit.

The Baja Special gear sleeve is the same diameter as a jigmaster gear sleeve.  The Baja Special bearing won't fit a 113H gear sleeve.
viurem lliures o morirem

johndtuttle

Quote from: George4741 on September 30, 2012, 02:20:49 AM
Quote from: johndtuttle on September 29, 2012, 06:27:27 PM
Is there anyone out there that has a Baja Special handle bearing (part #55B) and a pair of calipers that could tell us the dimensions? It would be nice to know if the ID is the same as the diameter of a 113H gear sleeve so that we could easily use those parts after modifying the side plate, though I would probably send the bearing to a machinist as well to be sure it was a perfect fit.

The Baja Special gear sleeve is the same diameter as a jigmaster gear sleeve.  The Baja Special bearing won't fit a 113H gear sleeve.

thanks very much for that!

best

Alto Mare

George, I need you to do me a favor, please only do this if your Baja is still open. Could you let me know if the bridge post measures 6mm or 5.17mm in width? Thank you.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Sal, it measures .248 inch/6.299 mm.  Interestingly enough, a 113H gear sleeve fits on the post perfectly, and the retaining pin is drilled in the right spot, too.  Of course, there are several factors that won't allow it to work in the Baja Special.

BTW John, actual measurements of the the Baja Special bearing in question are
inner dia:   .390 inch
outer dia:  .747 inch

One other thing, the diameter of the Baja Special gear sleeve is slightly smaller than the jigmaster gear sleeve.  I was wrong when I said they are the same size.
viurem lliures o morirem

johndtuttle

Quote from: George4741 on September 30, 2012, 04:05:05 AM
Sal, it measures .248 inch/6.299 mm.  Interestingly enough, a 113H gear sleeve fits on the post perfectly, and the retaining pin is drilled in the right spot, too.  Of course, there are several factors that won't allow it to work in the Baja Special.

BTW John, actual measurements of the the Baja Special bearing in question are
inner dia:   .390 inch
outer dia:  .747 inch

Thanks for that. And hmmm, very interesting. Begs the question as to whether the 113HN Gear Sleeve would work in a 113H (with all the other bits too of course).

ps. looks like the pinion design is different in how it engages the spool, so no go from the get go.

day0ne

John,
Take a look at the schematic for the 113MTL. It also has a bearing at the end of the gear sleeve. I think idealy the star should press on a sleeve that fits inside of the bearing, putting no pressure on the bearing at all. That is how the 113MTL appears to be set up. I haven't checked my HN's yet
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Alto Mare

Thanks George, you're always there to help, I appreciate it. I think we've got something here. :-\
John, thanks to you too for keeping the flame going on this one.
In the very beginning when I put this out , I mentioned that I would like to see others get involved and help with their ideas to keep improving, I'm glad it's happening.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: day0ne on September 30, 2012, 05:18:07 AM
John,
Take a look at the schematic for the 113MTL. It also has a bearing at the end of the gear sleeve. I think idealy the star should press on a sleeve that fits inside of the bearing, putting no pressure on the bearing at all. That is how the 113MTL appears to be set up. I haven't checked my HN's yet

Thanks for that. I'll check it out. :)

Ron Jones

That is also how the Diawa Millionaire is set up for the AR bearing.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

redsetta

G'day lads,
I was asked recently by AT member Peter (p-deverett) to double-dog a couple of 113Hs and, given they're both variations on the theme, thought a few pics might be of use to others...
The first is an injection-molded 113H.
There was no 'meat' within which to fit the second dog and spring, so I cut away the unnecessary plastic, then took Will's suggestion and twisted up a S/S torsion spring instead.

It's important to create a little clearance via a small, circular hollow beneath the dog, like so:

The spring wedges into the corner thus:

As you can see, there's plenty of clearance between the spring, the dog and the main gear.
Also, despite the camera angle, there's clearance between the spring hook and the bridge plate.

The second was a Pro Gear GR3500.

Hope that's of some interest/assistance.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Nice problem solving Justin, I will now work on the ones that I set aside ;). BTW, how do you keep your hands so clean? Do you wear gloves and pull them off when taking pictures? ;D. If so, I should start doing the same, my wife is complaining about me greasing up her $800 camera with my crap . I tried to tell her that it makes it work smoother, but she didn't buy it ::)

redsetta

QuoteI tried to tell her that it makes it work smoother, but she didn't buy it
;) ;D
I didn't for years, but finally found some high-quality disposable surgical gloves that aren't latex or powdered, and can handle sharp edges without tearing.
I only started when I noticed I was reacting to white spirit and carb cleaner, and also began wondering what the long-term effects might be of having my hands in marine/teflon grease etc five to six days a week.
I still often run out and/or forget to put 'em on... ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Cone

Good job as always Justin. You can't slip anything by Sal. I think he checks out every post with a microscope! I'm not sleeping at night because he  let me know I put my 114h backwards on the Tib frame. But at least he keeps us honest.  ;D
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

broadway

Justin,
      Nice thinking with that "small circular hollow" in the dog.  You always make it look so easy 8)
Dom