isn't it time for fully waterproof conventional reels.

Started by hafnor, December 02, 2011, 07:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

Since the launch of the  daiwa saltiga spinner in 2001 the reel manufacturers have been strugling making reels fully waterproof. We all know that both the shimano stella and saltiga have waterproof drag and almost a waterproof house. The new saltiga has 100% waterproof body, so how come the conventional reel series have fallen so far behind. If you dunnk a conv. reel it will be soaking inside and you have to bring it to service or take it apart yourself ], cleaning all bearings, drags etc. The configuration of a conv. reel is much more simple than a spinner, so how come? instead of drilling a hole on the body of the conv. reel because it is not supposed to be waterproof. why not just slap on some rubber there and you never have to worry about service? Is it possible?

alantani

drags are easy.  we do that here all the time.  non-exposed metal surfaces are easy too.  the trick is preventing corrosion in the bearings.  everything else is good.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Trying to keep the water from getting in between the spool and sideplates would be a major issue. In order to get a good seal, the reel would have no freespool. :(  Any other place could use o-rings or gaskets. Okay for rock-codding with 3 pound weights but in any other application, I see headaches. :-\  IMHO
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Alto Mare

Quote from: norcal pescador on December 02, 2011, 10:55:25 PM
Trying to keep the water from getting in between the spool and sideplates would be a major issue. In order to get a good seal, the reel would have no freespool. :(  Any other place could use o-rings or gaskets. Okay for rock-codding with 3 pound weights but in any other application, I see headaches. :-\  IMHO

Or you could simply keep it in a Ziplock bag  ;)

I think that a reel needs to be able to let the water that gets in drain out. Having a "waterproof"  reel might work against you, especially if some water gets in and it can't come out. Just my opinion ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Nothing is "water proof" but with a labyrinth type seal one might be able to keep most water out of the spool bearings and side plate.  It would make the reel wider though.  Titanium frame, spool, internals and fasteners and protected bearings might get you "water resistant".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Squirmypug

I have had an idea for a fully seaded conv reel for a while.. It really isn't that hard of a thing to do, but if it was fully sealed and water got in you may not know it and ruin the reel  :-\
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!

kamuwela

imho the weep hole on conventional reels also act as a breather hole to remove condensation. how would you prevent the water from entering from between the spool and frame? im sure like everything else in time we will see a water proof reel.

qcguy4198

I wouldn't buy a reel that is advertised as being "Waterproof". For a manufacturer to even get close to being able to make that claim....they'd have to design in so much B.S. that I'd rather not even try to go there. Further...once owning such a reel, you have 2 choices...TRUST that it's truly waterproof and don't try to get into it. Trust the manufacturer...(until it locks up..!!!)or have to work around all the "features" that they added to try and achieve "waterproof" results when your own common sense is telling you to get in there and do some maintenance.
Most of us who come to this board have already made the commitment to "get into" our reels to varying degrees.
That doesn't apply to the average Wally-World buyer, so there might be a market there, but it might be hard to beat the $24.95 combos you simply toss and replace every year.

Squirmypug

kamuwela, the spool gap would still be open just need to rinse off or dunk after use.The reel would need a live spindle(think thats what its called) like the Penn Torque. With only a small hole in the right side plate with a seal for the spindle to go through, open bearings oiled or sealed packed with grease the seal would not change freespool.After that its only the handle/drag access that needs to be sealed and that would be just as easy.It would have a little more resistance when cranking line in but should be minimal.
I'm not talkin' 'bout pleasure boatin' or day sailin'. I'm talkin' 'bout workin' for a livin'. I'm talkin' 'bout sharkin'!