JX 6/3 Questions

Started by SoCalAngler, December 03, 2011, 05:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Hello all,

I have a Avet JX 6/3 and was wondering if I replaced the right main side plate bearing with a thrust bearing could I squeak out a little more drag pressure out of this reel? I use this reel to fish 40 lb topshots and set the drag pressure at around 10 lbs at strike, I may want to set it a bit higher at times. I notice a slight load from the right side bearing I'm guessing on the handle at this pressure, is this something I should be worried about? Also if I need to move the drag lever past strike while fighting a fish will the increased drag place more pressure on this bearing causing damage to it? Last question, has anyone looked at doing this? Right now I don't even know the OD-ID and width of the stock bearing or if anyone makes a thrust bearing in this size. Thanks in advance.

Keta

So far I have been unable to find an angular contact bearing that fits.  Avet uses deep grove bearings for their pinion bearing, not the best choice in my mind as they tend to be fragile and don't take thrust as well as an angular contact bearing.  Avet pinion bearings can be hard to remove at times too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Thanks Keta,

Do you or anyone happen to know the dementions of the pinion bearing on the JX 6/3, the OD/ID and width? I no longer have a pair of calipers to mic the bearing thats in the reel. I may do a little bearing hunting if I could get the measurements.

alantani

we looked at those a while back and i think we figured out that we could do it if we had just 6mm more room in the side plate.  sadly, we did not.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

Ok thanks Alan. In my breif hunting I did find some manufactures that specialize in making thrust bearings but I just needed the correct size. If this has already been looked into I guess there is no need for me to beat a dead horse so to speak.

alantani

i would think that avet would have to do something.  this side load issue is killing them. 

Hff

Its funny, I had the same thought... replace an the pinion bearing for a thrust or angular contact bearing.

I've done some quick googling, and there appears to be plenty of places that sell small thrust bearings...

Surely this has been investigated in the past tho...

alantani

actually, place a thrust bearing underneath the right main side plate bearing.  you only need 6mm of room for the thrust bearing.  i think it would solve almost ALL of their problems.