Penn 9/0 dream build help

Started by Mattnok, April 21, 2020, 01:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattnok

So with all that's going on I finally got the time to put in the work for my 9/0 dream build. I have a USA made 9/0 on a Cortez frame currently and waiting for my ss dog and main gear sleeve to come in. So my question to all you knowledgeable people on here what is my best option for the drag upgrade for this build I want to create strong smooth drag while land based shark fishing. Looking into getting a aluminum side plates when they become available and wondering what else should I do to really get everything I can out of this reel.

thorhammer

Either a Bryan Young drag stack or Motive insert would be my move, and an Alan Tani handle- SS blade and 5/0 grip. You might double dog the plate as well; don't know when plates may happen. Here's a bit of the question I had- what line to run. Meaning, if you need 700 yds and are running mono for abrasion resistance vs. braid, then you're are talking 50 lb, which that reel will do in it's sleep off the shelf with just greased carbon drags for smoothness. I think your play here depends on the beach you are fishing and what bottom your line will be on. IMO, you won't capitalize on the full upgrades until you are fishing 100lb test, and that cuts your capacity way down with straight mono. On my full conversions I backed 300 yds 100lb braid and topped with 80, and truthfully that reel might not work up a sweat with even that...I wouldn't blink running 130 braid and 100lb top shot on the full conversion. I'd pull a muscle before I'd hurt the reel. Now I just need to get to fish one lol.

Daron, the Sharkhunter, is the man for this question and he'll weigh in directly about the line piece, I expect.

John

Mattnok

On all my 80ws I used straight hollow braid for my land based shark fishing set ups I got about 1500 yds of 150lb hollow left over from spoiling my avet trx 80 last month which should handle the beach fine and still give me 800-1000 yds I'm guessing so it should work pretty good for this build

Benni3

I got 1000yrs of 100lb braid and 200yrs of 80lbmono topshot,,,,, ;D

Donnyboat

Hi Matt, the 150Lbs hollow would be just fine, with about 120 Lbs top shot, if you ever get out on a boat, it would be great for trawling to, good work well done, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Mattnok

Thanks for the replies guys I'm pretty stoked for this build just trying to get in touch with the people with the drag upgrades so I can keep the ball rolling

milne

Good luck with it Mattnok,, interested in how you go with this.
   I have my 9/0 sitting there ready to go once this virus is finished with, the postage is a waste of time from State side to Aussie at the minute.
  And I know I'll have to go the full Monty with the upgrades, just because you can   ;D.
There's so many options to upgrade it's truly amazing, plus the most experienced blokes on here you'll ever find.
keep us updated with even some Photo's if ya can, I'll certainly be following...

Col

Mattnok

So finally found a drag stack and got it ordered hopefully it will be here by the weekend or early next week at the latest still waiting on my order for the as gear sleeve and dog to be shipped

Mattnok

So I need some help tried to replace the damn gear sleeve and I have now broken 3 punches trying to put this damn pin through🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

Alto Mare

Not sure why you are using a punch to install the pin, that is usually used to remove it.
You probably have the wrong size pin.
If you purchased a custom gear sleeve, try it from the opposite side on the pin. If that doesn't wire, try the opposite side of the gear sleeve.
If still a no go, clamp them pin Just enough on a vise and use some sandpaper to reduce it a little.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mattnok

I was able to get it seated all the way with a lot of work and sweat guess everything can't go too smooth the first time doing something like this now only question I have is the I have an older 9/0 and got a drag upgrade my old drag had the felt washer and cap do I need to re use those?

RowdyW

You can either use the felt & washer over or get a top hat washer from an older 114H that also acts as a spacer.