How about a Pflueger Skilkast?

Started by Lingwendil, April 21, 2020, 08:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingwendil

And now for a break from the recent Penn reels I've been working on. I picked up a Pflueger Skilkast and a cub handle recently and needed to do a teardown and refresh any way, so I figured I would take some pictures to show how these come apart and go back together. The cub handle was new, never used, but the reel was very dirty and bone dry- it squeaked and squealed pretty bad and wasn't terribly smooth.

For the uninitiated, these reels are direct-drive without freespool, do not feature drag, and do not feature an anti-reverse. The cub handle was an accessory replacement handle to add drag capability to the reel, that functioned only so long as you actually held the handle. Adjustment was with a set of six screws on a clutch plate. Silly, huh?

Full album here just in case pics disappear-
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B7IaCg9dSicXqHn5fnnXYi5U-WjNXPFT?usp=sharing

Pretty straightforward, lots of little fiddly screws :)

I just love the little fish design engraved on this reel  8)

The spool is aluminum, and very light, even with the line in place. Maybe about as heavy as a several quarters or so.

The cool part here is the centrifugal casting control. Pretty clever.

For those who don't know, here is the cub handle and how it works. Pretty clever- a pair of drag washers clamping a central disc.

The drag washers themselves appear to be some sort of phenolic/fiber composite.

Now that we have it apart, lets start rubbing down all the metal with some polish. Nevr-dull works great for this.

I used Reel X on all moving parts, except for the gear teeth, where I used Cal's drag grease.

Make sure you put the backlash adjustment bits in the correct order!

Cleaned up great! I bought it to fish it, so it's fancy enough for me!

After reassembly the reel is very smooth, and will spin freely for several seconds. Not bad for a reel with simple bushings.

Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

oc1

That's a fantastic tutorial.  I had no idea they was a centrifugal brake in there.  Do you happen to know what years they were produced?
-steve

Lingwendil

I'm working on finding more info, but my preliminary results show early 40's through early 70's. I really, really like this reel. Very simple and "clever" but by no means crude.

https://finandflame.com/pflueger-skillkast-1953-reel/

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

oc1

I thought the ABU 5000 had the first centrifugal brake in the mid-50's.  But the nobby skillcast probably had it beat.  Thanks.
-steve

Crow

Good job on the tutorial !  I have a couple old Pfluegers that need the same treatment.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

festus

Thanks for the pics and breakdown.  lf l ever find my old Pflueger Akron 1893 this tutorial may help.

BocaSnook1

Thank you for the incredibly detailed tutorial!

Tad

Alto Mare

Great job breaking down that vintage reel, it appears not to be an easy job, but looks like you had it under control.
Very nice, I'm sure it will help many,
Thanks for posting.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Donnyboat

Yes Wendil, great tutorial, thanks, Chester the 1893 Acron, patented 1893, I think was made in 1916, of German silver, this reel look very much the same, thanks again, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Lingwendil

What line would you guys run on this reel? The current stuff seems to be very old braided line, but it still feels supple enough to use. I was thinking of splicing a topshot of 10# mono to it with a blood knot, maybe seven or eight feet or so?

Since this is direct drive I like the idea of running something low stretch for smaller fishing on a medium/medium light 6' or so rod.

mo65

Nice job on the tutorial! I'd bet many of the Pflueger models from that series are very similar inside. I have never opened any of mine...only the Capitol pictured below. They work well with that old Dacron that most of them are spooled with. The mono top shot you asked about works well too. I've used mono on a few models and it worked great. I think the Supreme cast pretty good, I fished it a few times. The Rocket is a complete tank...weighs a ton...but rock solid. Even the lowly Trump was a decent feeling reel. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Great tutorial. I'mina take an unspoken tip from yours for the next one I do, more pictures, less of the excessive text. Got a Akron model 1893, one of the more popular Pfluger baitcasters from the olden days.
Mo, I have a more beat-up version of the Capitol that I did a little feature on a couple of years ago. Have you used yours? If so, whatdaya think?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Thanks for sharing your pictures.  Well built old reels.🤝
   If anyone has a pinion gear for the Capital I,m interested....  I somehow lost mine.  That's another story.🤢👎.   Thanks.

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on April 22, 2020, 03:31:05 AM
Mo, I have a more beat-up version of the Capitol that I did a little feature on a couple of years ago. Have you used yours? If so, whatdaya think?

No G, I never fished that Capitol. I only took it apart to clean off a little corrosion, then put it back in the box. They are a fine reel though...bet it would fish great.

mo65

Quote from: Lingwendil on April 21, 2020, 08:15:17 PM
The cub handle was an accessory replacement handle to add drag capability to the reel, that functioned only so long as you actually held the handle. Adjustment was with a set of six screws on a clutch plate. Silly, huh?

The cub handle actually works pretty good if you fiddle with the screws and hit the sweet spot. My Supreme has one on it, and I think I have one still in the box somewhere.