Penn 970 Mag Power

Started by eddeb3, April 22, 2020, 09:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddeb3

Good afternoon Gents,

I recently received a Penn 970 Mag Power reel. I've removed the non-handle side bolts but the black plastic (FRP?) is stuck tight. I sprayed this area down with Break Free several hours ago....to no avail!?! The side plate is tight!!!

I thought I'd better ask the experts before I damaged a probably irreplaceable part. ;D

Thanks in advance.

Good health to all.

Ed

xjchad

Hi Ed,
Those side plates can be tough to get out sometimes.
Do you have the handle side removed?  If so, remove the spool and use the soft butt of a hammer to gently tap it from the inside.
Another option with the spool in place is to press on the  inside of the spool flange, pushing the side plate outward.
Yet another, but riskier solution is to use a sharp blade and carefully, gently press it between the plate and inner ring. Go a little at a time, working your way around the perimiter.
Be patient, you'll get it!  :)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

eddeb3

Wow! Thank you for your prompt, logical response, Chad! I'll switch to the handle side and work from there.  :D

Swami805

Throw it in the freezer for about an hour and the plastic will shrink a tad, Then see if you can tap it out. Careful!! Those sideplates are next to impossible to find.  Be extra careful tightening the screws too.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

No problem!
That side might be stuck too, just try firm even pressure to the inside of the spool flanges.  That usually worked for me.

eddeb3

Thank you Swami and Chan. Both sides remain stuck. An hour in the freezer didn't make any difference. The reel is back in the freezer for the night. I'll try again tomorrow....carefully!! :)

Thank you again for your thoughts.

Tight lines,

Ed

eddeb3

Me again...what about mild heat...like my wife's hair dryer???

I did a Google search and turned up the following: "In the hoop direction, the thermal expansion is about the same as steel. However, in the axial direction, the thermal expansion of the fiberglass pipe is about twice that of steel."

If I'm about to trip a booby trap, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll "make haste slowly" tomorrow.

xjchad

The inner rings are aluminum, so they should grow with the heat.
The blow dryer might work!

eddeb3

Thank you Chad! I love going to bed with a plan of action!  :)

Have a good night.

Ed

Decker

Pushing on the spool with the tail plate off has always worked for me. Prying those plates is risky; they can be brittle.   Good luck. 

eddeb3

Good morning Gents,

Through a combination of your ideas and advice, my 970 side plates have been removed! Ultimately, I tapped on a short length of 1/2 dowel rod along the base of the spool wall. Both side plates are now free. The internals are all gunked up so now the reel (intended) work begins.

Other than new drag washers, are there other parts that should be considered?

Also, late last night I emailed Mystic Parts and asked their advice for removing stuck side plates. I'm including Maureen's response in the event that someone else might benefit:

"Sounds like corrosion might be holding it together, as I'm assuming you already removed the screws.

IMPORTANT Remove the bearing caps from each side so that you don't strip the ball bearings

Then soak the reel in a mix 80% water 20% vinegar, with a few drops of dawn dish soap.
Soak for 20 minutes (do NOT soak for more than 20 minutes at a time you don't want to damage the plates).
Rinse it off thoroughly with water. Don't skip the rinse.
Gently work the edge of the plates with a screw driver.
If still stuck, repeat.

When you get everything apart, if you want to do another soak of the loose parts to remove grime, repeat the soak/rinse again."

Again, thanks to all for your assistance! :)

Be well and prosper.

Ed

Decker

There is an Ultimate Upgrades 5-stack kit for the 970/980.   From what others have said about those reels, they are overbuilt in terms of the gears and spool shaft, equal to a 113H.  Sal (Alto Mare) has a lot to say about them.  There are many handle and star upgrades.   I haven't upgrade mine yet but it is on my list. 

vilters

i added the 5 stack drag kit to mine. i also added a stainless gear sleeve - the one for a 113h is the same and works. i found a steel dog i had gotten from keta that fit once i had modified it - og dog is not the same as 113h. i also installed a 113h drag star - it is larger diameter overall than the og, or you could use any other star that fits a 113h. cortez conversion eccentric lever was added along with a penn handle w/ larger grip, again any handle that fits 113h is an option. great little reels.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Decker on April 23, 2020, 04:59:25 PM
There is an Ultimate Upgrades 5-stack kit for the 970/980.   From what others have said about those reels, they are overbuilt in terms of the gears and spool shaft, equal to a 113H.  Sal (Alto Mare) has a lot to say about them.  There are many handle and star upgrades.   I haven't upgrade mine yet but it is on my list. 

No need for me to keep repeating myself... here you go:
https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10273.msg97129#msg97129
If there if something that interests you, go for it!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

eddeb3

WOW! What a treasure!!! I found your write-up ( now archived) in a search for difficulties I might face while removing the stuck side-plates on my 970s & 980. I'm sold...keeping all three of my Penn Mag Powers as "legacy reels" for my beloved grandson. I'm pushing 80 pretty hard so I'll need to hurry!  :)

Thanks again Gents. Y'all are the best!! :)

Tight lines and good health

Ed