Penn Boxes Timeline

Started by Brandon G, April 25, 2020, 02:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon G

Hello,

Does anybody know which style of Penn boxes came out when, like a timeline of sorts?

I just picked this up today, and the catalog is from 1957, but I saw on FB another 350m where the box (to me at least) looks like it would be older, but the guy said it had a 70s catalog in it. (maybe someone swapped the catalogs out for some reason?)

My loot is the blue box, the FB post is the other one.
Tight Lines :)

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Sometimes you can match the price on the box to what's in the catalog, on older Penns.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

milne

The 350m was introduced in 1954-55 and had that price on it then, on that style of box....  with regard to your box, I'm not so familiar with dating, I'm sure someone may be able to help.   I believe the fisherman type box, finished towards the end of the 50's, but I can't give you an exact date, but it is an older box than yours yes..

Col

Deepennz

Hi There,
The 350m was first produced in 1954/55 - all those early boxes had "Fair Trade Price" printed on them, a practise which seems to have stopped by 1956. That 350m box has "List Price" printed on it - placing it in the 1956 - 1959 time frame. The price stayed the same.
All I can add about your blue box is that it seems to be a pre 1963 box - the Penn address has 'Philadelphia 32' on the box.
After 1963 the address changed to 'Philadelphia PA 19132'.

Hope that helps
Take care out there
Martin

Brandon G

Quote from: Deepennz on April 25, 2020, 06:18:15 PM
Hi There,
The 350m was first produced in 1954/55 - all those early boxes had "Fair Trade Price" printed on them, a practise which seems to have stopped by 1956. That 350m box has "List Price" printed on it - placing it in the 1956 - 1959 time frame. The price stayed the same.
All I can add about your blue box is that it seems to be a pre 1963 box - the Penn address has 'Philadelphia 32' on the box.
After 1963 the address changed to 'Philadelphia PA 19132'.

Hope that helps
Take care out there
Martin

Thank you for the info, the catalog in my box was a 25b catalog. I was told that dates to 1957, but I've also seen 1962. Either way, I am happy I have a box haha It will make my collection look a tiny bit better.
Tight Lines :)

Maxed Out

Postal code on many Penn boxes lasted well into the 1970's. The zip code boxes only showed up after all the postal code boxes were used up. I have a 1977 jigmaster 500L box with postal code, so tough to date a reel by the postal code being on the box
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

AC49

Thanks Ted

I missed this thread. Very interesting. Just further evidence that Penn never wasted any costs LOL.